Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Metal coin with ridges for building calluses on fingertips ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Metal coin with ridges for building calluses on fingertips
Category: Arts and Entertainment > Music
Asked by: poocacy2184-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 09:34 PDT
Expires: 15 Oct 2006 09:34 PDT
Question ID: 765586
I'm looking for an item to help build calluses (for playing guitar). 
It looks like a coin, a little smaller than the palm of your hand.  It
is metal and has concentric metal ridges on it.  Supposedly you put
your thumb on one side and squeeze your fingertips over the ridges on
the other side.
I read somewhere that rock climbing stores might carry something like this.

Request for Question Clarification by pinkfreud-ga on 15 Sep 2006 10:23 PDT
I haven't found a coin-shaped device like the one you describe.

Would any of these products meet your needs?

Clarification of Question by poocacy2184-ga on 15 Sep 2006 10:39 PDT
Yes, these will work.  Thanks!
Subject: Re: Metal coin with ridges for building calluses on fingertips
Answered By: pinkfreud-ga on 15 Sep 2006 11:13 PDT
I'm glad you liked the callus-building devices that I found. I've
reposted the links below:

Musician's Friend

Musician's Friend

Yesterday's Guitars

Here is a good article on building calluses:

Hand and Foot Care: Building and Maintaining Calluses

My Google search strategy:

Google Web Search: "callus builder OR toughener"

Google Web Search: "build OR building calluses"

I asked a rock-climbing acquaintance about the coin-shaped device that
you mentioned. He said that he thought he remembered having seen such
a product back in the 1980s. The current trend among climbers is
toward maintaining the elasticity of the skin rather than deliberately
toughening the calluses. My friend thinks the device was called a
"Callus Wheel" or "Callus Disc." I haven't found any evidence that
this is still marketed, though.

Best regards,
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy