Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Employee Theft ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: Employee Theft
Category: Business and Money > Employment
Asked by: ajay160-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 24 Sep 2006 11:03 PDT
Expires: 24 Oct 2006 11:03 PDT
Question ID: 768020
I am a small business owner and I manage a samll hotel in State of
Ohio. Few days back 2nd shift deposit came missing. On checking the
Close Circuit Camera I found that 2 nd shift person counted the money
but forget to drop the money in safe.

The 3rd shift made the deposit but did not deposit the previous shift
deposit. Now few days back both the people gave their notices to quit
the company.

What are my legal recourse to recover my money?

Can I deduct the money from their last paycheck or hold their paycheck?

I will appreciate any help pn this matter
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Employee Theft
From: sanju1977-ga on 25 Sep 2006 01:02 PDT
Dear sir,
I think It is better for you to  deduct the money from their last paycheck.
Subject: Re: Employee Theft
From: tardis-ga on 25 Sep 2006 11:47 PDT
I am not an HR person, but I believe that if they worked the hours
then you can't hold or withdraw their last paycheck.
Subject: Re: Employee Theft
From: daniel2d-ga on 25 Sep 2006 21:12 PDT
Big question - what happened to the money?  It just did not disapear. 
You cannot withhold any pay unless you have a case that shows that a
particular employee was negligent and that as a result of that you
suffered a loss.  If the money was stolen call the police and file

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy