Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Fertility treatment ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Fertility treatment
Category: Health > Medicine
Asked by: sw18paul-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 27 Sep 2006 23:35 PDT
Expires: 27 Oct 2006 23:35 PDT
Question ID: 769145
What is the Spanish equivalent to the UK 'Human Fertilisation and
Embryological Authority' (

Request for Question Clarification by pinkfreud-ga on 28 Sep 2006 10:39 PDT
Are you seeking a translation of this agency's name into the Spanish
language, or are you looking for a similar agency in Spain?
Subject: Re: Fertility treatment
Answered By: guillermo-ga on 20 Oct 2006 14:27 PDT
Hello sw18paul-ga,

I've decided to address both of the possible senses of the question
suggested by my colleague pinkfreud-ga and commenter flybd5-ga.

First, 'Human Fertilisation and Embryological Authority' translates
into Spanish as "Autoridad en Fertilización Humana y Embriología".

The Spanish institution that seems to be the closest to the HFEA would
be the National Commission for Assisted Human Reproduction (Comisión
Nacional de Reproducción Humana Asistida). However, the equivalence is
not exact, since this one is a consultative organism -- whose
resolution are mandatory in certain cases -- and the issuing of
authorizations for practice lay on local authorities of the health
system, which rule over any type of health institutions -- anyway,
under guidelines originated in the above-mentioned Commission. While I
couldn't find neither a website nor contact information for the
Commission, supporting what I've stated above, at this URL
( ) there is the decree that
regulates its functioning, at this other one from the there is the law
that describes its role
). Also, it is a dependency of the Ministry of Health and Consumption
(Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo -

I believe this answer should satisfy your requirement.

Search strategy: browsing the official website of the Spanish


Subject: Re: Fertility treatment
From: flybd5-ga on 28 Sep 2006 11:52 PDT
You need to clarify if you want a Spanish translation, or the name of
the equivalent government agency in Spain.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy