Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Working in Canada ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Working in Canada
Category: Business and Money > Employment
Asked by: super714-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 02 Oct 2006 09:45 PDT
Expires: 01 Nov 2006 08:45 PST
Question ID: 770166
What are the steps that need to be taken to get a job/work permit in
Canada if you're an American Citizen?
Subject: Re: Working in Canada
Answered By: hummer-ga on 02 Oct 2006 11:06 PDT
Hi super714,

Everything you need can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration
Canada website. Basically, you will need a confirmed offer of
employment in order to qualify for a work permit (the employer has to
get a confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
for the job first, notably to make sure there are no Canadians
available to fill the position).  Following is a simplified list of
steps, but please click on the link ("Working in Canada") for complete

1. Offer of employment
2. Complete application
3. Gather documents
    Proof of identity
     * a valid passport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to
the country that issued it;
     * two photos of you and your accompanying family members (see
Appendix B Photo Specifications for instructions).
    Proof of employment in Canada
     * Your job offer letter or contract from your prospective
employer, and the file number provided by Human Resources and Skills
Development Canada (HRSDC) to locate the labour market opinion
(confirmation). Your employer should be able to provide you with this
file identifier,
     * Evidence that you meet the requirements of the job, possibly
including specific educational requirements or past work experience
possibly outlined in a resume,
     * Evidence of the Certificat d?acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued
by the Ministère de l?Immigration et des communautés culturelles
(MICC), if you work in Québec or will be working in Québec. If you do
not need a labour market opinion (confirmation) you will usually not
need a CAQ.
4. Submit application & fee (C$150)

Working in Canada
Applying for a Work Permit outside Canada 
Working in Canada
Completing the Forms
Paying the Fees
Where Do I Apply?
What Happens Next?
Appendix A Temporary Resident Visa Exemptions
Appendix B Photo Specifications 
What is a work permit?
"It is a written authorization to work in Canada issued by an officer
to a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of
Canada. It is required whether or not the employer is in Canada.
Usually, it is valid only for a specified job and length of time. A
work permit may be issued based on labour market opinion (HRSDC
confirmation) or may be issued on the basis of other requirements.
What is an Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) confirmation
An HRSDC confirmation is the opinion provided by Human Resources and
Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to the officer which enables them to
determine whether the employment of the foreign worker is likely to
have a positive or negative impact on the labour market in Canada. An
HRSDC confirmation may be required in order for a work permit to be
The HRSDC confirmation process is started by the prospective employer
who contacts HRSDC to get a job offer form. When the form is completed
and submitted, HRSDC considers several factors, including the
availability of Canadians and the offered wages as well as the
economic benefit the foreign worker would bring. HRSDC then provides
advice to the officer.
The HRSDC confirmation is typically given for a specific period of
time, and the work permit will be issued to coincide with this period.
Renewal of a work permit beyond the specified period will therefore
likely require a new opinion from HRSDC.
Who requires a work permit?
Anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who
wishes to work in Canada needs to be authorized to do so. Depending on
the nature of the activity, in some cases the person is authorized to
work by virtue of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and
Regulations themselves. But in most cases, he or she will need to
obtain a work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to work
legally in Canada. You may obtain further details on persons exempt
from obtaining a work permit by visiting our Web site or by contacting
a visa office. The requirements to obtain a work permit are outlined
in the following pages of this guide.
When should I apply?
You can apply for your work permit as soon as you receive written
evidence of your job offer or contract of employment or as soon as you
receive an HRSDC confirmation. In cases where a HRSDC confirmation is
not required, you may apply when you have written evidence of your job
offer from your employer.
What requirements must I meet to obtain a work permit?
You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. You must also:
 * satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment;
 * show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your
family members in Canada;
 * be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be
asked to provide a police clearance certificate);
 * not be a risk to the security of Canada;
 * be in good health (complete a medical examination, if required);
 * produce any additional documents requested by the officer to
establish your admissibility.

Application to Work in Canada: Work Permits
"This application is for persons outside Canada who are not Canadian
citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who want to work
temporarily in Canada. A work permit is issued if the application is

Application for Work Permit

Document Checklist

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post a
clarification request and wait for me to respond before closing/rating
my answer.

Thank you,

Search strategy: 
I searched the CIC website.
Subject: Re: Working in Canada
From: roland81-ga on 02 Oct 2006 17:25 PDT
If you are a profesional with a bachelor degree and come to Canada to
work in your profession you DO NOT need a work visa. Simply show up at
the Canadian border with your qualifications (diploma etc.) and the
offer of employment and you will be granted work status on the spot,
no processing time required.

You must renew your status once a year.

This status is provided under NAFTA and applies to citizens of USA,Canada & Mexico
Subject: Re: Working in Canada
From: hummer-ga on 02 Oct 2006 19:43 PDT
Hi roland81,

Thank you for your comment. I never said that super714 would need a
visa, but s/he would need a work permit to work in Canada. Following
is another government of Canada website with the same instructions as
the guide I already posted (yes, you can apply at the border, that is
also mentioned in the guide).

"Citizens of the United States and permanent residents of the United
States, citizens of Greenland, and residents of St. Pierre and
Miquelon, or the nationals of countries that do not require a
temporary resident visa may apply for their work permit at the Port of
Entry as they enter Canada or at a Canadian visa office abroad in
"Work permit applications are not always completed the same day when
submitted in person."

Thanks again for your interest,

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy