Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: University Transfer ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: University Transfer
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: docrine-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 22:17 PDT
Expires: 09 Nov 2006 21:17 PST
Question ID: 772548
I am an international student on F1 visa, and I am currently enrolled
at the University of Michigan (fall 2006, classes started ? September
5th 2006). I do not have any assistantship and I do not foresee any in
future. Therefore, I cannot afford the education here and I am
planning to go to Missouri State University for the spring term -2007
which starts on 17 January 2007. I would like to leave the university
on the 15th of October, take a partial tuition fee refund and enroll
in the U.Missouri for Jan 2006.

Therefore, there is a gap of 3 months between these two events. Could
somebody tell me whether
1)	my student status will get affected during this period?
2)	I will have to go back to my country during this period or whether
I will be allowed to stay back in the US/
3)	If I have to go back to my country, will I have to get a new visa?
My current visa is valid till April 2008
4)	Is there any way to stay back in the United States during this
period?  I mean whether I can get some waiver to stay back since I am
eligible to come back on the 17 of December to attend the 17 January
Subject: Re: University Transfer
Answered By: keystroke-ga on 11 Oct 2006 11:43 PDT
Hello docrine,

Good news! You can stay in the US.

You will have to transfer your visa to Missouri State University.
Springfield, MO is a nice area, by the way. Since there is less than a
five month gap between these schools you're attending, you do not have
to leave the US and your previous visa will remain valid. If you do
leave the US, you will have to reapply for a visa to Missouri State.
Here are the Brandeis University rules on visa transfers:

Brandeis Visa Transfers

"When does the visa transfer procedure apply?
? If you are currently in the United States in F-1 Visa Status and
will not be out of the United States for
longer than five months between programs"

Here are the University of Pennsylvania's procedures:

Visa Transfer to Penn

You will need to inform Missouri State that you will be transferring
your visa to their institution. Then, the University of Michigan will
need to transfer you to MSU. This mainly takes place between the two
schools; you won't really have a part in it besides telling them what
you want to do. You will need to be careful when doing this, because
if you tell Michigan that you're dropping out without mentioning that
you want to transfer the visa, they might simply declare that you have
ended your education and your visa will end in 60 days.

Good luck!

If you have any clarifications that need to be answered or additional
questions, let me know and I'll be happy to help.


Clarification of Answer by keystroke-ga on 11 Oct 2006 11:43 PDT
Search terms:
f1 visa transfer schools
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy