Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: marriage in Japan ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: marriage in Japan
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: golfnutt-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 11 Oct 2006 12:56 PDT
Expires: 10 Nov 2006 11:56 PST
Question ID: 772729
If an American citizen marries a Japanese citizen in Japan, is the
marriage considered legal in the United States?

Request for Question Clarification by kriswrite-ga on 11 Oct 2006 13:01 PDT
In general, the answer is yes. However, the American government
suggests that its citizens consult some state representatives for more

With that in mind, in what state does the American live?

Subject: Re: marriage in Japan
Answered By: hummer-ga on 11 Oct 2006 13:28 PDT
Hi golfnutt,

Yes it is, no problem, if the marriage is legal in Japan it will be
legal in the U.S as long you complete a sworn "Affidavit of Competency
to Marry" at the nearest U.S. embassy .  Please click on the following
links for full details.

U.S. Consulate Fukuoka, Japan
"Marriage in Japan consists of a civil registration by the couple at a
Japanese government office. This is accepted as a legal marriage
throughout the United States. To register a marriage under Japanese
law, Americans must prepare an 'Affidavit of Competency to Marry'
signed and sworn before the U.S. consular representative in Japan.
This English-language document must then be translated into Japanese
and filed, along with the marriage registration form, at the local
ward or city office. The fee for the notarized affidavit is $30. If
you would like more information, please fax us at 092-713-9222. You
must contact our office in advance to set up an appointment to sign
the affidavit."

U.S. Consulate General
Sapporo, Japan
Marriage of American Citizens in Japan
"All persons, including American citizens who desire to marry in
Japan, must do so according to Japanese law. Marriage in Japan
consists of a civil registration of marriage by the couple at a
Japanese government office. This registration constitutes a legal
marriage and is recognized as such throughout the United States.
Religious ceremonies and ceremonies performed by fraternal and other
similar organizations are not valid as legal marriages."

Embassy of the United States - Japan
Marriage in Japan
"If you wish to marry in Japan, you will do so according to Japanese
law. Marriage in Japan consists of a civil marriage registration by
the couple at a Japanese municipal government office.
Only this civil registration constitutes a legal marriage in Japan.
Ceremonies performed by religious or fraternal bodies in Japan, while
perhaps more meaningful for you, are not legal marriages.Consular
officers unfortunately cannot perform marriages.
There are just a few things you'll need to do to get married. Let's get started! 
Who Can Get Married in Japan?
Article 731 to 737 of the Japanese Civil Code stipulates the following
    Pointer  The male partner must be 18 years ofage or older and the
female partner must be 16 years of age or older.
    In addition, for Americans, you must be able to legally marry in
your home state; if the legal age of marriage at home is 18, you
cannot marry earlier than that in Japan.
    Pointer  A woman cannot get married within six months of the
dissolution of her previous marriage. According to Japanese law, this
is to avoid confusion as to the identification of a child's father if
a birth occurs close in time to the end of the marriage.
    Pointer  Most people related by blood, by adoption or through
other marriages cannot get married in Japan.
    Pointer  A person who is under 20 years of age cannot get married
in Japan without a parent's approval.
For the American Partner...
Japanese law requires all foreigners who marry in Japan to first
prepare a sworn Affidavit of Competency to Marry (Konin Yoken Gubi
Shomeisho) affirming they are legally free to marry, from their own
country's embassy or consulate in Japan.
    Pointer  You can download a blank affidavit form.This form is for
use with one American partner and one non-American, such as when an
American man marries a Japanese woman. The form has two parts, one to
be completed in English and the other to be completed in Japanese.
    Pointer  If your partner is also an American s/he must also
complete a sworn Affidavit of Competency to Marry at the Embassy. Use
this form in cases of two American people marrying one another. The
form has two parts, one to be completed in English and the other to be
completed in Japanese.
These forms are required by Japanese law, and are not a requirement of
the U.S. Government. No registration of your legal marriage abroad is
required by the U.S. Government, and your Japanese partner need not
come to our offices."

I was glad to find this for you. If you have any questions, please
post a clarification request and wait for me to respond before
closing/rating my answer.

Thank you and congratulations!

Google Search Terms Used: marriage japan

Clarification of Answer by hummer-ga on 11 Oct 2006 13:38 PDT
Websites of U.S. Embassies
? Japan: Tokyo
? Japan: Fukuoka
? Japan: Nagoya
? Japan: Osaka/Kobe
? Japan: Sapporo
? Japan: Naha, Okinawa
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy