Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Property Acquired by Marriage in CA ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: Property Acquired by Marriage in CA
Category: Family and Home > Home
Asked by: caligirl415-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 09:09 PDT
Expires: 18 Oct 2006 14:39 PDT
Question ID: 774048
Hello - my ex-husband & I are still trying to finalize our divorce by
handling the property issue.  We have yet to meet with an ADR to
determine who gets the house.  I have physical custody of our children
but we have not lived there for over 2 years.  My ex-husband & his
longtime girlfriend, now wife, have been living there for over 2 years
& his wife has been paying for the mortgage.  I am still debating
whether I want to argue to move back or be bought out.  My question is
does his wife acquire any ownership or interest in our home commencing
at marriage because she has been paying for it & living there for a
long period of time?  If I choose to buy him out of his title, will i
have to pay something to his wife as well?  or vice versa?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Property Acquired by Marriage in CA
From: daniel2d-ga on 16 Oct 2006 10:34 PDT
There is too much moncy involved to do this yourself.  Get an attorney
to handle this for you (it should have been done before the divorce
was final).
There are tax implications involved (e.g. capital gains are tax free
if you lived in the house 2 out of the last 5 years)   Now is not the
time to skimp on legal advice UNLESS he is prepared to buy your half
out at todays market price.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy