Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Exporting a car from USA to Austria ( Answered 3 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Exporting a car from USA to Austria
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: kfb-ga
List Price: $100.00
Posted: 20 Oct 2006 08:50 PDT
Expires: 19 Nov 2006 07:50 PST
Question ID: 775373
A friend has asked me to send him a new car in Austria. He will in
affect buy this car from me. Are there issues I should be aware of
such as taxes, duties and other uncomman liabilities related to
selling him a car from the US? I'm also looking for information on
whether or not he will be able to register the car in Austria, due to
different emmissions and safety standards and requirements? I have
seen in my internet research that it is prohibitively expensive to buy
and retrofit a car manufactured for and purchased in Europe, in the
US, but I can't find similar information on sending him one in
Subject: Re: Exporting a car from USA to Austria
Answered By: scriptor-ga on 20 Oct 2006 11:03 PDT
Rated:3 out of 5 stars
Dear kfb,

If you, as a private individual, are going to import a car from the
USA to Austria, there are indeed certain things you will have to take
into consideration in time:

== As soon as you know what model of car exactly your friend wants you
to buy and transfer, you must make sure that the specific type of
automobile qualifies for vehicle registration in Austria. Cars that do
not meet the Austrian regulations for emissions, noise, lights,
indicators etc. and that can't be converted will not be granted
registration in Austria. It is quite unlikely that a US car, made for
the US market, will have a COC Certificate (= Certificate of
Confirmity, confirming that the car meets EU specifications and
regulations). Therefore, he will have to apply for a single approval.
More about that particular issue later.
What you and your friend need to know right from the beginning: Even
before the transfer of the car begins, you should contact the
competent local Austrian authority and inquire for whether
registration of the car type you have in mind will be possible at all.
You will find a list of those authorities at the end of these

== The following things are absolutely necessary for importing and
later for registering the car:

- The sales contract or, alternatively, the sales bill
- The complete car documents (technical data sheet, etc.)
- The car's certificate of guarantee
- The car's manual
- Dealer license plates

The dealer license plates will be valid in Austria according to their
US period of validity; after that time, they must be delivered to the
local Austrian authority responsible for car registrations.

== When the car leaves the USA, make sure you get a confirmed export declaration.

== When the car enters Austria, you must:

- Present the sales bill or sales contract
- Pay the customs duty and import turnover tax
- Get a customs clearance confirmation

The amounts you will have to pay upon import of the car are subject to
very complicated customs and tax regulations. To find out what the
amounts will be in your specific case, please refer to the Central
Information Office of the Austrian Customs:

Zentrale Auskunftsstelle Zoll für allgemeine Auskünfte
Zollamt Villach
Ackerweg 19
9500 Villach
Phone: ++43 (0)4242/33233
Fax: ++43 (0)4242/33233, DW: 426

== Once you have handed over the car to your friend (the private sale
is not subject to any problems, but make sure you have a proper sales
contract), he will have to take care for several important things in
order to get a registration:

- He must present the car to the local car registration authority and
apply for single approval.
- He must present the full car documents and an abstract of title
- He must present photographs of the car for documentation purposes
- He should, ideally, present emission and noise level certificates
(these should be available from the manufacturer. Otherwise, the car
registration authority will have them made, which is subject to a fee)
- He should prepare for the registration authority to demand
additional documents, as deemed

If the car does not yet fully meet Austrian regulations, a certificate
of temporary exemption can be issued by the authority. In that case,
your friend will get a interim registration. A single approval
certificate for full registration will be issued within the next 18
months. The entire registration process is, of course, subject to fees
(about 150 Euros).

== Car Registration Authorities in Austria, by Federal State

    * Wien: Magistratsabteilung 46 (MA 46) - Landesfahrzeugprüfstelle
, 7. Haidequerstr. 5, 1110 Wien, Tel. 01/955 59 (Infoline Straße und
    * Niederösterreich: Amt der NÖ. Landesregierung, (Zuständigkeiten
der einzelnen technischen Prüfanstalten in NÖ werden hier bekannt
gegeben), Landhausplatz 1, Haus 14, 3109 St. Pölten, Tel.
02742-9005-16024 (Kanzlei, Auskunft)
    * Burgenland: Amt der Bgld. Landesregierung, Rusterstr. 135, 7000
Eisenstadt, Tel. 02682/643 04
      Antragsformular als Download
    * Kärnten: Amt der Kärntner Landesregierung, Abt. 15,
Flatschachstr. 70, 9020 Klagenfurt Tel. 05 0536 31978 (INFO-Telefon)
    * Oberösterreich: Amt der OÖ. Landesregierung, Abt.
Verkehrstechnik, OÖ Landesprüfstelle, Goethestr. 86, 4021 Linz Tel.
      Auf der Homepage der OÖ Landesprüfstelle sind auch
Informationsblätter als Download verfügbar!
    * Steiermark: Amt der Steiermärkischen Landesregierung,
Fachabteilung 17c, Petrifelderstr. 102, 8041 Graz, Tel. 0316/877-2161
    * Salzburg: Kraftfahrzeug Prüfstelle des Amtes der Salzburger
Landesregierung, 5020 Salzburg, Karolingerstr. 34 Tel. 0662/80 42
5304, Fax. 0662/80 42 5319
      Antragsformular als Download
    * Tirol:TÜV Bayern; Landesgesellschaft für Österreich, Trientlg.
8, 6020 Innsbruck Tel. 0512/34 19 10
    * Vorarlberg: TÜV-Österreich, Reitschulstr. 8, 6923 Lauterach Tel. 05574/733 82
      Ziviltechnikerbüro Millner & Millner ZT GmbH, Bundesstraße 74a,
6830 Rankweil, Tel: 05522/73921-0, Fax: 05522/73921-8


Österreichischer Automobil-, Motorrad- und Touring Club: Eigenimport
nach Österreich Typisierung von Kfz

Bundesanstalt für Verkehr: Fahrzeugimport

Auto-, Motor-, und Radfahrerbund Österreichs: Eigenimport Kfz

Österreichisches Bundesministerium für Finanzen: Zollauskünfte
kfb-ga rated this answer:3 out of 5 stars
There is somewhat greater details and separation of information in
this answer than I was able to gather myself, so I found the answer
helpful enough for me to determine I was not going to be the final
resource for determining the answers to some of these questions. This
will b delegated to my friend. With that said I think there is a bit
of elaboration of simpley found facts in this answer and the substance
does not justify the verbage.

Subject: Re: Exporting a car from USA to Austria
From: mave99a-ga on 02 Nov 2006 02:06 PST
looks cool.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy