Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Need to Pass CA Smog Test in TX ( No Answer,   2 Comments )
Subject: Need to Pass CA Smog Test in TX
Category: Sports and Recreation > Automotive
Asked by: bryanl108-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 23 Oct 2006 11:23 PDT
Expires: 22 Nov 2006 10:23 PST
Question ID: 776103
My car is registered in California and is due for a smog check.  I am
currently in Texas for work.  If I pass a smog test here in TX, will
the CA DMV accept these results and renew my registration?  If yes,
what kind of things do I need to go through to get this done? Are
there specific places in the Austin, TX area that can take care of
this for me?

Please include detailed research and links to sources.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Need to Pass CA Smog Test in TX
From: pinkfreud-ga on 23 Oct 2006 11:38 PDT
Unless you're only in Texas for a brief time, you'll need to get Texas
plates for your vehicle:
Subject: Re: Need to Pass CA Smog Test in TX
From: badgerw-ga on 24 Oct 2006 02:07 PDT
"Q: My renewal notice says my car needs a Smog Check. But the car is
out of state, and will not be back for many months. It's too far to
bring it back to California for a smog inspection. Can I get the car
smog checked in another state and send the results here?
A: Do not obtain a smog inspection in another state; it will not be
valid here. Unless your vehicle is in Nevada or Mexico, you need not
bring it back to California in order to complete your registration.
Simply fill out and sign DMV's " Statement of Facts " form (you need
the free Adobe Acrobat reader to download and print this form). The
registration tags will be mailed to wherever the car is currently


Link to "Statement of Facts":

You just have to check a box that says that it's out of state and mail
it in with your registration info.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy