Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Grants/Scholarships for released felons ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   2 Comments )
Subject: Grants/Scholarships for released felons
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: denyme-ga
List Price: $2.50
Posted: 26 Oct 2006 22:31 PDT
Expires: 25 Nov 2006 21:31 PST
Question ID: 777336
Are there any grants/scholarships for convicted felons who are now out
and want to go to school?
Subject: Re: Grants/Scholarships for released felons
Answered By: nenna-ga on 27 Oct 2006 11:39 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello denyme-ga,

As long as your conviction was not for possessing or selling illegal
drugs or the conviction was removed from your record you should still
be able to apply for grants and scholarships with the FAFSA. You can
get Pell Grants through the FAFSA as well as Stafford Loans. Also many
times, such as at my college, they use the FAFSA to determine
state/local/school related scholarships and grants as well.

You can also call this # if you have any more questions.
Federal Student Aid Information Center 

Also, at the school of your choice make an appointment to speak with a
Financial Aid Officer. It's their job to know about scholarships and
whatnot, so they may be able to point you to local or state
scholarships/grants in your area as well that you're eligible for.
Each state has different laws re: felonies and eligibility, so please
speak with someone at the college you wish to attend about the issue.

As a side note, I found this message board which poses the same
question you have. Maybe you could post there and see if anyone can
help you?

Google Searches Used:
Scholarships for felons

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

denyme-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
thank you so much for your kind response. You have no idea how much
this helps. thanks!

Subject: Re: Grants/Scholarships for released felons
From: keystroke-ga on 27 Oct 2006 05:33 PDT
As long as the felony was not drug-related, a convicted felon can
apply for financial aid and loans just the same as any other student.
Subject: Re: Grants/Scholarships for released felons
From: msnay77-ga on 14 Nov 2006 13:14 PST
I went to Demarge College in 1996 and I got approved for a Stafford
Student loan for $2500 to go to school for Wordprocessing and Business
Technology to pay for my books and tution and I was convicted of
Possession of Cds in 1995 I  did'nt have any problems and graduated
and got good jobs I'm looking to go back to college next year so you
are telling me that I can't get approved for assistance now if I'm
planning on taking up Culinary Arts? My crime is 11yrs old they will
still use that against you?

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy