Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Accidental Damage Protection for MacBook ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Accidental Damage Protection for MacBook
Category: Computers > Hardware
Asked by: kylefritz-ga
List Price: $9.50
Posted: 29 Oct 2006 21:37 PST
Expires: 28 Nov 2006 21:37 PST
Question ID: 778337
Two months ago I bought an apple macbook from the apple website.  I'm
interested in getting it insured against accidental damage
(particularly damage to the display).  I'm a little accident prone and
dropped my last computer several times and had the display go out. 
I've even had the display on my new macbook changed once already. My
question: what are my options for getting an accidental damage
protection policy.  I noticed a website ( which offers
ADP but seems a little questionable.  Are there other options,
preferably someone who specializes in Macs?

Subject: Re: Accidental Damage Protection for MacBook
Answered By: nenna-ga on 30 Oct 2006 12:35 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello kylefritz-ga, is a legit site and one of your best bets. I double
checked the site and there's a New York Times article that suggests it
from 2002 (
so it's been around for years.
Also has listed as an alternative to AppleCare on a Mac forum.

They're also part of the Better Business Bureau Online reliability
program and have been since 03/12/1999.

Your other best option out there is an addition to your
Homeowners/Renter's insurance. For example, my significant other and I
both have add-ons to our policies that cover up to $5000.00 worth of
additional computer/electronic equipment and it costs me a whole $128
a year including my regular Renter's Ins. It covers theft/MY damage,

I checked and it seems for $2500.00 coverage on a 2 month
old laptop in my state would cost me $150.00 a year for just the
laptop. So I think getting Renter's Ins. with an add-on may be the
cheaper way to go. However, does not seem to charge a
deductible to fix your electronics, so that may be an option you want
to weigh.

Contact your Ins. Agent for more details on Renter?s/Homeowner?s
Insurance and Electronics riders. Make sure the policy covers YOUR
damage. Have them explain it thoroughly. A lot of times YOUR damage is
not covered under a Renter's policy. I had to do some shopping before
I found a decent policy thru an Ins. Agent that covered my clumsiness. (What Is Laptop Insurance?)
This article essentially says the same thing I just did, but in more detail.

Last but not least, I did check with a couple Mac ?Zealot? friends
about aftermarket insurance for them. I asked them all "Know of
anywhere that offers aftermarket accidental damage protection for

All 5 of 5 said, ? is the best bet. They're good.? in some
form or another?
I?ll take a real life recommendation any day.

I think that says a lot.

Google Searches Used:
:// reviews

Laptop Insurance

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

kylefritz-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Thank-you for the very thorough answer.  I really appreciate your help.

Subject: Re: Accidental Damage Protection for MacBook
From: siliconsamurai-ga on 30 Oct 2006 11:18 PST used to be legit, no recent experience.
Why not just you homeowners or renter's insurance, if you have one or
the other you are probably already covered.
And, for that matter, why "specialize" in Macs? no insurance company
cares what OS you are using, they only care about your credit rating,
the cost of the item, and it's current value.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy