Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: IRS Ruling on retired citizens living abroad ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: IRS Ruling on retired citizens living abroad
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: regino-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 01 Nov 2006 02:50 PST
Expires: 01 Dec 2006 02:50 PST
Question ID: 779066
Can you tell me what the IRS Tax ruling is for a retired U S Citizen
living abroad on social security for an extended period of time. Does
he pay tax to the IRS or to the foreign country he is living in.
Subject: Re: IRS Ruling on retired citizens living abroad
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 01 Nov 2006 13:58 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars

According to IRS Publication 915:  

Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits

Social Security benefits are exempt from US taxes for recipients
living in listed countries:

Publication 915
Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits

...U.S. citizens residing abroad. U.S. citizens who reside in the
following countries are exempt from U.S. tax on their benefits.






Italy. (You must also be a citizen of Italy for the exemption to apply.)


United Kingdom.

The SSA will not withhold U.S. tax from your benefits if you are a U.S. citizen.


In addition, the above publication also contains the criteria you can
use to determine if SS benefits are taxable at all, even for those
living in the US (it depends on total income).

I trust this information fully answers your question, but if there's
anything else I can do for you, just let me know by posting a Request
for Clarification, and I'm at your service.



search strategy -- used bookmark site for the IRS
regino-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

Subject: Re: IRS Ruling on retired citizens living abroad
From: nelson-ga on 01 Nov 2006 03:27 PST
It depends on the tax treaties in effect between the U.S. and the
country in questioin.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy