Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Paying for my son's education ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Paying for my son's education
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: regino-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 02 Nov 2006 09:04 PST
Expires: 02 Dec 2006 09:04 PST
Question ID: 779435
I want to learn all I can about family gifts with respect to the IRS
particularly as they relate to paying for my son's education.
Subject: Re: Paying for my son's education
Answered By: justaskscott-ga on 02 Nov 2006 10:40 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello regino,

[Disclaimer: As indicated at the bottom of this page, answers and
comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are
not intended to substitute for informed professional  tax, legal,
accounting, or other professional advice.]

Here are several Internal Revenue Service documents concerning gifts:

"Form 709: United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return: 2005"

"2005 Instructions for Form 709"

"Publication 950 (Rev. September 2006) Cat. No. 14447X: Introduction
to Estate and Gift Taxes"

"Gift Tax Questions",,id=108139,00.html

"Estate and Gift Taxes",,id=98968,00.html

"Gift Taxes",,id=107815,00.html

The last of these documents says in part:

"If you gave any one person gifts in 2005 that valued at more than
$11,000, you must report the total gifts to the Internal Revenue
Service and may have to pay tax on the gifts.

The person who receives your gift does not have to report the gift to
the IRS or pay gift or income tax on its value.

Gifts include money and property, including the use of property
without expecting to receive something of equal value in return.  If
you sell something at less than its value or make an interest-free or
reduced-interest loan, you may be making a gift.

There are some exceptions to the tax rules on gifts.  The following
gifts do not count against the annual limit:
? Tuition or Medical Expenses that you pay directly to an educational
or medical institution for someone's benefit ...."

The other documents provide further statements about reporting gifts
over $11,000 to one person, the exception for tuition that you pay
directly to an educational institution for someone's benefit, and
non-reporting of gifts by the person who receives the gift.

Please let me know if you need clarification of this answer.

- justaskscott

Search strategy --

Searched on IRS website for:

regino-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Excellent work.  Tank you very much.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy