Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Charges By police,,,Please please help me as soon as possible. ( No Answer,   2 Comments )
Subject: Charges By police,,,Please please help me as soon as possible.
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: parry1809-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 09 Nov 2006 22:32 PST
Expires: 09 Dec 2006 22:32 PST
Question ID: 781560
I am an international student and new to U.S.I came in U.S before 2
months.I was not so familiar of the dmv rules..
Once in the morning I was driving my frnds car to my home.
It was the first time i was driving in U.S.
A cop asked me to stop and I got very scared.I didnt understand how to
react to the situation.I did a big mistake and i tried to flee the
cop,but after some time the cop caught me and he arrested me.The thing
is I was very scared because i didnt have the licence with me and also
the car papers.Even i dont know why this stupid step had I had taken.
Then i got a free release from the court, but the cop has put four charges on me.
Pc 496(a) that is stolen car....(because i didnt have the papers with
me..N i dnt know why n how has he charged me this?)
VC23103(a)REckless driving
Vc2800.1(a)Fleeing the cop
Vc12500(a)Driving unless licensed...(But i have a temporary licence
but could not show it to the cop )
I have a court date on 20th Nov.
Please help me in this case because i was very scared and i didnt
understand what to do.I am new to  U.S.
Now what is going to happen in the court?
Will it be in my record?
Is it possible to clear them?
How does it affect my visa status?
And i have also heard that if a person has a criminal record then he
cannot get green card.Please also tell me about that.
I am very tensed about the situation.
Is it true?
Will it help me more if I hire a lawyer than a public defender?
How can it differ in the result if i hire a lawyer?
Please help me.
I will really appreciate that.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Charges By police,,,Please please help me as soon as possible.
From: daniel2d-ga on 10 Nov 2006 01:31 PST
First, before you plead to any of the charges make sure the officer is
in court. If he is not plead not guilty.  Without the officer present
there is no one to present evidence against you.  The states has to
prove its case against you and without the officer present there is no

Have your friend go to the court with you to testify that you had not
stolen the car.

Take your license with you to court to show you had a license at the
time you were stopped.

Explain to the judge why you ran and that you now realize it was wrong.

Let the officer prove you were driving recklessly.  Give your side of the story.

If the judge finds you guilty of anything ask for Probation Before
Judgement. This is where the judge will allow you to leave.  If you
stay out of trouble, usually for one year, he will drop the charges
against you.  However, if you are charged within the year he can
revive those charges against you.

If there is a prosecuter handling the cases rather than just the
officer showing up talk to them before court starts (get there early)
and they may drop some charges and let you plead guilty to a small
charge and perhaps pay a small fine.
Again though, make sure the officer is there because without him they have no case.

If you can, before going to court get a certified copy of your driving
record to take to court to show you have a good driving record. (if
you do)
Subject: Re: Charges By police,,,Please please help me as soon as possible.
From: research_help-ga on 10 Nov 2006 06:10 PST
You didn't realize it was wrong to speed away from the police?  I
don't think any judge is going to buy that.  You need a lawyer who can
help you try to arrange a plea bargain, because it doesn't sound like
you have much of a case.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy