Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Becoming an IXC/long distance telephone service provider ( No Answer,   0 Comments )
Subject: Becoming an IXC/long distance telephone service provider
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: intelis-ga
List Price: $200.00
Posted: 16 Nov 2006 19:34 PST
Expires: 16 Dec 2006 19:34 PST
Question ID: 783460
I need to know the steps and path(s) to becoming a long distance
telephone service provider/carrier or interexchange carrier (IXC). I'm
especially interested in being able to do call switching myself,
especially for international calls - so simply reselling long distance
service would not suffice. It seems obvious that the IXC needs to be
connected to the PSTN in order to provide the long distance service.
Does an IXC need to interconnect with a local exchange carrier (LEC)
or what/how? If that interconnection is in one location can the IXC
provide long distance service nationwide (I suppose so, but I need
details). I also need details about the technology options for
interconnection, switching equipment options, signalling (as I
understand SS7), maybe colocation options. If localization matters I'm
located in Chicago. I need other info on becoming IXC such as whatever
else is needed (besides connection to PSTN, equipment, licensing); if
there is some kind of carrier code associated w/ each IXC and its role and how
customers can sign up with the new IXC (based on that carrier code?);
and just how providing long distance service works. Some info about
the FCC licensing is appreciated (but not so important because it's
easily available from FCC). How all this (becoming IXC) is different
and/or similar to becoming CLEC is appreciated as well even though not
crucial to the answer. Links with useful info on this matter are
appreciated as well!
There is no answer at this time.

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy