Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Testicle lumps ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Testicle lumps
Category: Health > Men's Health
Asked by: ricric-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 19 Nov 2006 08:50 PST
Expires: 19 Dec 2006 08:50 PST
Question ID: 784003
Hi there I have had one lump in my testicle for over 15 years, and a
new one near it about 8 years ago but the other one is not on the
testicle. I have never worry about as never any pains all these years,
until last few days in belly and a few mins a day on the testicle
area. I am very upset and not sure if i should hold on and see if it
goes away, I just want some answers. 15 years with no pain is long
Subject: Re: Testicle lumps
Answered By: umiat-ga on 19 Nov 2006 09:34 PST
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hello, ricric-ga!

 It is difficult as we age and find our bodies doing all sorts of
strange things that we simply want to ignore, isn't it? In your case,
you know I am going to tell you to get yourself checked by a
physician. I recommend a physical for two reasons -  1) to catch any
potential medical problems in the early stages before they become more
serious, and  2) to allay any fears you have if this turns out to be
no cause for alarm! But seriously, why wait in hopes that your
symptoms will simply disappear? It sounds like you are long overdue
for a physical exam, anyway!

 I am providing some references for you to read so you can be informed
before you go to the doctor. It is always good to walk in with some
questions in mind before your appointment so you make sure all your
concerns are covered.

About Testicle Lumps from Medline

A testicle lump is a swelling or mass in one or both testicles.

Here are some possible causes of a painful testicle:

    * Injury or trauma
    * Epididymitis
    * Infection of the scrotal sac
    * Mumps
    * Orchitis (testicular infection)
    * Testicular torsion
    * Testicular cancer
    * Spermatocele (a cyst-like mass within the scrotum that contains fluid and 
      dead sperm cells)
    * Varicocele (a varicose vein along the spermatic cord)

Here are some possible causes if the testicle is not painful:

    * Testicular cancer
    * Hydrocele (fluid collection in the scrotum)
    * Varicocele
    * Spermatocele
    * Loop of bowel from a hernia

Call your health care provider right away if you notice any
unexplained lumps or any other changes in your testicles.

What to expect at your health care provider's office    

Your health care provider will perform a physical examination, which
may include inspecting and palpating the testicles and scrotum, and
ask questions about the lump, such as:

    * When did you notice the lump?
    * Have you had any previous lumps?
    * Is there any pain?
    * Does the lump change in size?
    * Is only one testicle involved?
    * Exactly where on the testicle is the lump?
    * Have you had any recent injuries or infections?
    * What other symptoms do you have?
    * Is there scrotal swelling?
    * Do you have abdominal pain?
    * Do you have any lumps or swelling elsewhere?
    * Have you ever had surgery on your testicles or in the area?
    * Were you born with both testicles in the scrotum?

Diagnostic tests depend on the results of the physical examination.

Read further for Treatment about various conditions......


Please also read about Scrotal Masses

"Scrotal masses are lumps or swelling in or around the testicles....." 


Please read about what to look for in a testicular self-exam.

When performing TSE you are looking for:

    * Small, hard, non-tender lump or nodule in the testicle
    * Enlarged testicle and/or a feeling of extra heaviness in the testicle
    * Change in the way the testicle feels or in its consistency
    * Dull ache in the lower abdomen or groin.

What does it mean if I find a lump?

"Lumps are not always cancer. However, if you notice a lump,
enlargement, tenderness or other unexplained changes in your
testicles, talk to your medical provider right away. The change may be
a sign of infection in the testicle (epididymitis) or of testicular
torsion (a condition in which the testicle becomes rotated inside the
scrotum and becomes "strangulated," which cuts off the blood supply.
If left uncorrected, this can result in the loss of a testicle)."

"If you are diagnosed with testicular cancer, the good news is that it
is more than 95% curable when detected and treated early. However,
testicular cancer may spread rapidly if detection and treatment is


 I know the first thing that always pops in to our heads when we find
various lumps is to ask - "Is it Cancer?" We tend to want to bury our
heads in the sand and ignore the symptoms, hoping they will go away.
After all, no action means no information, and no information is
better than bad information.....Right?  WRONG!  If there is a problem,
you need to be responsible and take action that could very well put a
halt a potential problem before it becomes out of control.

 Just so you are informed, please read about the causes, signs,
symptoms and treatment options for Testicular Cancer.

 About Testicular Cancer from the Mayo Clinic

 Also read through the links on Testicular Cancer on Medline


 I have to commend you for being brave enough to confront this issue.
I know it can be frightening, and this is the reason why so many men
and women avoid going to the doctor. However, avoidance is not the
most judicious route when your health and your body are concerned.

 Let's see you set an example for all the other men (and women) out
there by going to the doctor for a checkup. I'll be routing for you.

Wishing you all the best!


Search Strategy

testicular lumps
benign lumps around testicles

Request for Answer Clarification by ricric-ga on 20 Nov 2006 12:26 PST
I suppose I want to know more the chances as I hoped for info from an
Urologist etc for some type of info if it you can have lumps for 15+
years and one for 8? How can one have lived so long if its cancer. but
anyway I have a Doctors app this wenesday.

Clarification of Answer by umiat-ga on 20 Nov 2006 12:40 PST

I am sorry you were expecting to get a Urologist's viewpoint. Google
Answers is not a Medical forum. However, I have posted a few links
from the Urology Forum that basically tell you the same thing - please
see a physician.

Congratulations on making a doctor's appointment! I wish you all the best. 

ricric-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars
I thank you very much, its only been harder on me due to many of 31
years suffering mentaly. I Just find it hard to face any more problems
after fighting to get of so many pills the last few years. I will try
let you know the results of tests i will have. GBU

Subject: Re: Testicle lumps
From: umiat-ga on 21 Nov 2006 05:43 PST
You take care, ricric. I'm rooting for you all the way.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy