Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Claiming UK tax back before departure ( No Answer,   3 Comments )
Subject: Claiming UK tax back before departure
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: hermien-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 19 Nov 2006 09:37 PST
Expires: 19 Dec 2006 09:37 PST
Question ID: 784015
How do I claim UK tax back before departure if I have worked in the UK?

Clarification of Question by hermien-ga on 19 Nov 2006 09:44 PST
My daughter has worked in the United Kingdom, in London , and is about
to fly back to Australia Monday morning UK time  .  She has worked in
London at 2 different places for 8 months.  She has a friend who could
claim tax back when this friend did the same after working in
Australia and wants to know if the same applies when one has worked in
the UK.  I remember there being something one can fill in on the back
of one's departure form when one leaves Australia with regards to tax
if one has worked a certain period in Australia and one does not
narmally live in Australia.  I was wondering if the same applied to
the UK.  She is a bit in a panic mode right now as she is afraid this
is something she has to do before departure. Can you please help
immediately with an answer.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Claiming UK tax back before departure
From: probonopublico-ga on 19 Nov 2006 10:11 PST
I know of no reason for her to worry.

She should fill in a Self Assessment Tax Form and file it anytime
before 31 January 2007 at the very latest.

The forms can be downloaded from:

The form includes a Section for the Repayment of Tax that has been overpaid.

She should have received P45's from her various employers that will
show her Earnings and Tax Deductions.

If she can provide the appropriate National Insurance Number (shown on
the P45) she should be OK.

If she hasn't been given a P45 then she must get one from her last employer.

Good luck!

Subject: Re: Claiming UK tax back before departure
From: probonopublico-ga on 19 Nov 2006 10:13 PST
Oh yes and if she has any probs filling in the form, please get back to us here.
Subject: Re: Claiming UK tax back before departure
From: probonopublico-ga on 19 Nov 2006 20:33 PST

Your daughter does not have to file her Tax Return until 31 January
2008 (not 2007) so there's no great hurry but the sooner the better.

Do let us know how she gets on.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy