Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Payment for services ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Subject: Payment for services
Category: Business and Money > Employment
Asked by: lazyreader-ga
List Price: $2.50
Posted: 25 Nov 2006 06:28 PST
Expires: 25 Dec 2006 06:28 PST
Question ID: 785438
Can an employer continue to make mistakes on a employee's paycheck,
with the only excuse being "we are sorry", and not worry about any

Request for Question Clarification by politicalguru-ga on 25 Nov 2006 06:32 PST
no. but this also depends on jurisdiction (country, state, county).
Which is yours? Could you elaborate a little more, please?
Subject: Re: Payment for services
Answered By: umiat-ga on 23 Dec 2006 15:31 PST
Hello, lazyreader-ga! 

 Due to the very general nature of your question, one of the best ways
to start is to call your state Division of Workforce and Labor, or
look it up online. To search, simply type in your state name and Dept
of Labor and you will hopefully find information pertinent to your
situation. If not, just take note of the phone number and call.

For example, here are examples from New Jersey and California.


The following articles might be of interest, though I have no idea if
they will speak to the particulars of your situation.

Payroll Mistakes Can Cost You - Big ! (Labor & Employment Newsletter -
January 2003)

Double Check Your Paycheck, by Sam Kerch


 Aside from this suggestion, unless you are noticing some very serious
infractions, you might be dealing with a less-than-business-savy
employer who is trying to do their own payroll. In that case, you can
continue to be patient, or copy off the relevant accounting
information that is affecting your specific situation. In any case,
keep ALL your paystubs.

 If the "mistakes" are bordering on criminal, I would report your
employer rather than deal with it yourself!



employer liability for payroll mistakes
department of labor (state)
Subject: Re: Payment for services
From: daniel2d-ga on 25 Nov 2006 11:14 PST
As long as the mistakes are minor and are taken care of when they are
told about them there is probably little, speaking practically, you
can do about it.
You do not mention what the mistakes are, and they is important information.
Just keep good records and report mistakes to them in writing.
Subject: Re: Payment for services
From: triumfdoogooder-ga on 25 Nov 2006 16:04 PST
You need to submit your payroll inquiry DIRECTLY to whoever prepares
the payroll, that way he/she can remember to effect the necessary
correction next time around.  Bypass your supervisor/manager/director

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy