Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: start-up business in China ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: start-up business in China
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: laohutaile-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 30 Nov 2006 11:27 PST
Expires: 30 Dec 2006 11:27 PST
Question ID: 787142
In order to open a WFOE (wholly foreign owned enterprise) in China I
am required to present to Chinese authorities some paperwork called
'certification of legal status'.  What exactly is this document and
where in the U.S. can I obtain it?

Clarification of Question by laohutaile-ga on 30 Nov 2006 11:30 PST
What is a 'certificate of legal status', needed to start a
foreign-owned business in the P.R. China?

I want to start a W.F.O.E. (wholly foreign owned enterprise) in the
People's Republic of China. One of the paperwork requirements is some
official document from the U.S. They refer to it as a 'certification
of legal status'. What exactly is this document and where in the U.S.
can I obtain it?
Subject: Re: start-up business in China
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 21 Dec 2006 07:31 PST
Here is a good overview of the process for starting up a WFO in China:

As for certifying your legal status, this appears to be up to the
local authorities in China to whom you submit your paperwork.  If you
are incorporated in the US -- that is, registered with a state
Secreatry of State --that would probably be your best source of
obtaining a statement of your legal status.

For instance, using New York State as an example, the following
documents are available for a given coproration:

I would suggest that the "Certificate of Incorporation" would serve as
your best bet for certifying your legal status to local Chinese

Best of luck,

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy