Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Problem Physicians ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Problem Physicians
Category: Health > Medicine
Asked by: sticks-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 20 Oct 2002 11:49 PDT
Expires: 19 Nov 2002 10:49 PST
Question ID: 85536
What is the website for listing of problem (disciplined or impaired)
physicians in the State of Florida
Subject: Re: Problem Physicians
Answered By: byrd-ga on 20 Oct 2002 13:03 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hi Sticks,

I believe the website you're likely thinking of is the one operated by
Public Citizen as a service to medical consumers, located here:  You can view the database online
here:  ,where
you can search for a doctor by name for free, but you'll have to pay a
$10 fee for more detailed information.  The site attracts a great deal
of traffic, so be aware that you may have some initial difficulty
getting on because of it.

Also, the Florida Dept. of Health has implemented a Medical Quality
Assurance program, whose purpose is "to regulate health care
practitioners to protect the public from harm that may arise from the
acts or omissions of incompetent, unethical, or impaired
practitioners."  Their "Investigative Services Unit investigates
complaints against licensed practitioners and about persons practicing
without a license. The unit initiates a priority investigation when a
complaint appears to involve an immediate and serious threat to the
public’s health, safety or welfare. If necessary, the agency can take
emergency action, such as suspending or restricting a practitioner’s
license. " And they "report[s] disciplinary actions taken against
doctors, nurses, psychologists and selected other medical
professionals to several national and federal professional governing
boards. These reports are confidential. However, consumers may submit
a Public Information Request form to the MQA program for documents
concerning a board’s disciplinary action."  You may find more
information at the website, here:

Florida Dept. of Health also provides free information on physician
backgrounds, which includes final results of disciplinary action and
malpractice suits, but since much or most of the information is
self-provided by the physician, it may not be as objective or factual
as you desire.  Still, it is extra information:

And you may find information about malpractice suits in Florida by
calling the Florida Dept. of Insurance at 1-800-342-2762 or checking
out their website at:

In addition, here is a comprehensive list of links for someone seeking
various other means to ascertain the credentials, standing and
competence of a doctor in the US:

I hope this information answers your question.  If not, or if you need
any clarification, please do ask.

Best wishes and good luck to you,

Clarification of Answer by byrd-ga on 21 Oct 2002 13:05 PDT
Hi Sticks,

Thank you for the good rating; I'm glad you were pleased with the
answer.  However, I neglected to provide you with my search strategy,
so please allow me to add that here:

Search terms used:
physician credentials florida
questionable doctors florida
florida doctors disciplinary malpractice 
florida medical verification +doctors +information

Thanks again, and best wishes.

sticks-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars
Excellent answer. First information given was accurate and additional
sources were provided

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy