Hello Mschwab and thanks for your question.
Loudenlow, inspired by a popular Dear Abby letter calling for better
smoke alarms for seniors, designed this product for people with high
frequency or high pitch hearing loss. It provides a loud, low pitch
audible alarm which is easier for many people to hear.
Read the Dear Abby letter here:
Loudenlow High Frequency Loss - Smoke Alarms
Loudenlow Smoke Alarms are designed for people with high frequency or
high pitch hearing loss. They provide a loud, low pitch audible alarm
and are battery operated requiring no wiring.
The Loudenlow Smoke Alarm:
- Produces both low and high frequency components.
- Produces 500 hertz and 2500 hertz, 85dB pulses.
- (Typical Alarms only sound at 2500 hertz which is difficult for many
elderly people to hear.)
- Includes Test button and low battery warning signal.
- Uses 4 AA and 9V battery - no wiring required.
- Requires 5" x 9" wall mount space.
- Installs in about 10 minutes.
- 30 day return policy
- 3 year limited warranty
- Sold by The Darrow Company
- $59.00 + $5.99 Shipping & Handling
Hear a sample of the alarm
low frequency smoke alarm for the hearing impaired
low frequency Smoke Detector for the hearing-impaired
hearing impaired products fire & safety
I hope you find this helpful and if there is anything that I've
written that needs clarification, please ask before you rate this
Request for Answer Clarification by
25 Oct 2002 04:40 PDT
I tried Loudenlow and even ordered one from them. 2 months later they
emailed my money back, saying they had production problems. Any other
sources you may be aware of?
Clarification of Answer by
25 Oct 2002 06:22 PDT
I will do some more research and get back to you.
Clarification of Answer by
25 Oct 2002 07:27 PDT
The Gentex fire alarm system meets your requirements for low frequency
GMH/GMS 4" Electro-Mechanical Horn for 24VDC Fire Alarm System
Requiring Low Frequency Horn
Four-inch, low-frequency electromechanical horn and horn/strobe series
that meets code requirements for supervised fire alarm systems for the
The GMH/GMS are suited for areas having high ambient noise levels
where low frequency, higher audible output is required. GMH and WGMS
are available for outdoor use.
- Low frequency penetrating sound output
- Low operating current
- 15, 30 ,60, 15/75, 30/75, and 110 cd strobe options
- Strobe maintains constant 1 Hz flash rate regardless of input
- Separate horn and strobe function (jumper wire)
- Screw terminals, separate in/out field wiring (12 gauge)
- No mechanical contacts
- Textured high impact plastic faceplate available in fire alarm red
- Supplied with beauty plugs to accommodate
- Outdoor use listed
(GMH and WGMS with 75cd meeting UL 1638)
- Meets or exceeds ADA 4.28.3. requirements
- UL 464/UL1971 & UL1638 listed for fire protective services/signal
for hearing impaired
There are various ways you can order Gentex fire protection products:
1. Write to them at Gentex Fire Protection Group,
10985 Chicago Drive, Zeeland, MI 49464.
2. Call their headquarters at 1.800.GENTEX1 (1.800.436.8391)
3. Fax them at 1.800.GENTEX2 (1.800.436.8392)
4. Download then print the credit application that can be mailed in.
Download or View here. http://www.gentex.com/pdf/creditapp.pdf
I hope this works for you.