Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Education in the United Kingdom ( Answered,   1 Comment )
Subject: Education in the United Kingdom
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: doughnut21-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 26 Oct 2002 00:14 PDT
Expires: 24 Nov 2002 23:14 PST
Question ID: 90084
I would like to purchase old 11+ and 12+ exam papers (UK).

Request for Question Clarification by belindalevez-ga on 26 Oct 2002 00:45 PDT
Do want to buy original exam papers or are copies acceptable.
Subject: Re: Education in the United Kingdom
Answered By: shananigans-ga on 26 Oct 2002 20:01 PDT
Hi doughnut21,

The UK Good Schools Guide says that the only source of old 11+ and 12+
exam papers is the Independent Schools Examination Board. Apparantly
their site has been up and down a bit over the past few years, but
it's up at the moment. You can see it at:

If the site happes to be down when you try to access it, the Board's
contact information is as follows:

'Snail Mail' to:
General Secretary MRS J WILLIAMS BA, Jordan House, Christchurch Road,
New Milton BH25 6QJ
Telephone: 01425 621111 
Facsimile: 01425 620044 

You can view the pricing information for past exam papers and syllabi
at: I have reproduced it below for your

11+ set of core subjects  3.20
13+ set of core subjects 5.50
13+ set of humanities papers 3.90
13+ set of French papers and tape 5.00
13+ German set of papers and tape 6.15
13+ Greek paper 0.25
13+ Latin paper 0.50
13+ Spanish set of papers and tape 5.90
11+/13+ EAL set of papers and tape 4.00
set of core subjects syllabuses 3.45
13+ set of humanities syllabuses 2.70
13+ modern foreign languages syllabus 1.20
13+ classics syllabus 1.00
11+/13+ EAL syllabus 0.25

Prices apply to the most recent papers available, and do not include
postage and handling charges.

Please telephone 01425 621111 to place your order.

The Board also lists publications which serve as guides for exam
revision for the various papers. These can be found at:

More general information about the 11+ and 13+ examinations (there is
no 12+) can be found at:

From this site:
"The Common Entrance examinations are used for assessing boys and
girls who transfer to senior schools at the ages of 11+ and 13+. The
syllabuses are devised and regularly monitored by the Independent
Schools Examinations Board, composed of representatives from the
Headmasters' Conference, the Girls' Schools Association and the
Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools. The papers are set by
examiners appointed by the Board, but the answers are marked by the
senior school for which a candidate is entered. Candidates may
normally be entered only if
(a) they have been offered a place at a senior school subject to their
passing the examination, or
(b) they are entered for a trial run, in which case the papers are
corrected by the junior school concerned."

" The subjects taken by each age group differ and candidates should be
entered for examinations appropriate to their age at entry to senior
school. The subjects in the three age groups are:
11+ English, Mathematics, Science and English as an Additional
13+ English, Mathematics, Science, English as an Additional Language,
French, Geography, German, Greek, History, Latin, Mathematics III,
Religious Studies and Spanish.

Queries about which subjects should be taken, options or possible
exemption from taking some papers should be addressed to the senior
school for which the candidate is registered."

Should it be of any further use to you, the UK Good Schools Guide can
be found at:

Good luck with the exams!

Clarification of Answer by shananigans-ga on 26 Oct 2002 20:03 PDT
Forgive me, I forgot to include my search stragegy! I used the google
search engine, with the terms 'UK old exam papers 11 12' (not in
quotation marks).
Subject: Re: Education in the United Kingdom
From: willie-ga on 26 Oct 2002 01:22 PDT
Hi there.

This may be of interest

Amazon UK sell 11+ Practice papers at


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy