Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Mustang Convertible top leaks ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: Mustang Convertible top leaks
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: kskatz-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 28 Oct 2002 12:40 PST
Expires: 27 Nov 2002 12:40 PST
Question ID: 91289
I have a 1996 mustang conv.  It leaks on the passenger side close to
where the top meets the windshield. Any fix for this.  The top is in
great shape and it looks like the rubber seal is also in great
condition. I tried to tighten the hooks a bit but it didn't help.

Request for Question Clarification by darrel-ga on 28 Oct 2002 16:20 PST

What kind of top is it? What is it made of?

Subject: Re: Mustang Convertible top leaks
Answered By: alexander-ga on 28 Oct 2002 17:58 PST
The first response, of course, is "take it to the dealer". There are
even a couple Technical Service Bulletins dealers have access to that
look like they might address the issue:

99-2-3         FEB 99       Windshield - Water Leaks
97-24-1        NOV 97       Convertible Top - Leaks In Rain And/Or Car

The full content of these bulletins are available online from , but require a $24.95/year subscription. This
price does include full access to all the Technical Service Bulletins
and Recalls for your car, so if there are a couple issues you're
interested in, it might be worth the subscription price.

You might be more interested in the experiences of other owners who
have had the same problem. The message boards at , for example, can be an invaluable
resource for learning about and working on your car. Here's a thread
relevant to the windshield leak:

"89 Vert - Leaky top?":

The gist of this thread yields an attack plan:

1) Tighten the hooks. (already tried)
2) Thoroughly clean the weatherstripping (rubber seal) between the
windshield and top. See this page for cleaning tips:
3) Replace the weatherstripping. Even though it may appear to be in
great condition, it may be deformed or degraded in such a way as to no
longer provide an adequate seal. (The above page about cleaning
describes the problem: plasticizers evaporating over time, which
causes the rubber to harden.)

Here's an online source for Mustang weatherstripping:

I believe that if the leak is between the windshield and top, you
would need the "94-99 CONV TOP WINDSHIELD WEATHERSTRIP", $125. You
might want to use the email link on that page to ask if that's the
part you need, since there isn't any further information on that part.

Search terms: "mustang forums", then "convertible leak", "windshield

Request for Answer Clarification by kskatz-ga on 28 Oct 2002 19:37 PST
the top is canvas

Clarification of Answer by alexander-ga on 28 Oct 2002 20:17 PST
I assume that was supposed to be a question clarification, not a
request for answer clarification? :)
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy