Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Beer measures in pubs ( No Answer,   4 Comments )
Subject: Beer measures in pubs
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: celest-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 30 Jul 2004 02:25 PDT
Expires: 29 Aug 2004 02:25 PDT
Question ID: 381209
what are all the different names for beer measures in pubs throughout
the world?  For example, you can order pints and glasses in Ireland,
Schooners and Midi's in Australia.

Clarification of Question by celest-ga on 30 Jul 2004 04:08 PDT
just to clarify

I specifically am interested in know what people call them in the pub... 

for example:  if you are in Sydney you can order a schooner of beer or
a middy.  In Melbourne you can order a pot.  If youre in ireland or
the UK you can order a pint or a glass

Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 30 Jul 2004 11:25 PDT
No one can reasonably promise to find you ALL the terms used around
the world -- stop and consider for a moment how many countries there
are, how many languages, and how much variation within a country and
language...and how much drinking goes on!

However, we can probably build you a pretty interesting and varied list, including:

butcher -- a glass of beer holding 200 milliliters (Australia)
charka--a Russian unit of volume -- about 123 milliliters
demi--a half bottle of wine or a small glass of beer
double -- two shots (not used for beer though...are you interested in
non-beer terms)
galopin -- In France, a small glass of beer


Let me know if a GOOD list (but not globally comprehensive!) with
25-50 entries would make for an acceptable answer to your question. 
Also, beer only, or beer plus other bar/pub terms for asking for wine,
liquor, etc.?


There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: Beer measures in pubs
From: funkt-ga on 30 Jul 2004 03:36 PDT
Beer is only mesured in 1/3 or 1/2 of a pint or multiples there of or
half liters or multiples there of. depending if your metric or the
other one! There reason for serving in 1/3 of a pint is for stonger
beers or barley wines .  In your question you mention scooners this is
type of glass that sheery is traditionaly served in, not a mesurement
of beer.

If by you question you mean what terms are used to discribe quantaties
of beer let me know and ill find out for you.
Subject: Re: Beer measures in pubs
From: hummer-ga on 30 Jul 2004 08:34 PDT
Hi celest,

Your question seems do-able at first glance but it is actually a
massive project. You are asking about cultural differences between
regions, and it would be nice if someone has already compiled such a
list, but if they have I've not come across it. Following are two
examples to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. For example,
in order to answer your question for North America, a researcher would
have to research each state in the United States and each province in

"Of course, the name of the beer container is only half the battle.
You also have to know which beer is available in the particular part
of Australia you are ordering in..."
New South Wales and A.C.T.
Pint        568ml    20 ounces
Schooner    425ml    15 ounces
Middy       285ml    10 ounces
Seven       200ml     7 ounces
Pony        140ml     5 ounces
Northern Territory
Schooner    425ml    15 ounces
Handle      285ml    10 ounces
Seven       200ml     7 ounces
Jug        1125ml    40 ounces
Pot         285ml    10 ounces
Beer        200ml     7 ounces
Schooner    425ml    15 ounces
Middy       285ml    10 ounces
Five        140ml     5 ounces
Seven                 7 ounces
Ten         285ml    10 ounces 
South Australia
Pint        425ml    15 ounces
Schooner    285ml    10 ounces
Butcher     200ml     7 ounces
Pony        140ml     5 ounces
Tasmania Ten or Pot/Handle
	      285mL    10 ounces
Eight       225ml     8 ounces
Six         170ml     6 ounces
Small Beer  115ml     4 ounces
Schooner    425ml    15 ounces
Pot         285ml    10 ounces
Glass       200ml     7 ounces
Small Glass 170ml     6 ounces
Pony        140ml     5 ounces
Pint        568ml    20 ounces
Western Australia
Pot         575ml    20 ounces
Schooner    425ml    15 ounces
Middy       285ml    10 ounces
Glass       200ml     7 ounces
Bobbie      170ml     6 ounces
Pony        140ml     5 ounces
Shetland    115ml     4 ounces

"Especially in Germany, and Austria one can frequently tell at a
glance what type of beer is being served by the shape of the glass.
Beer is generally drunk from a glass "mug." However, the Bavarians in
particular love their earthenware "Stein," correctly called a "Krug."
With the exception of the terms "Krug," and "Stiefel" (boot), other
terms for glasses, such as "Seidel," "Pokal," and "Willibecher" are
nowadays seldom heard by the general public. When you order "ein
Bier," you will get it in the glass typical of the bar and the area,
but the quantity of beer will invariably be marked on the "mug,"
expressed in portions of a liter (approximately 33.8 ounces), such as
0,5 l meaning 1/2 liter, or approximately 16.9 ounces.
The Krug, the earthenware mug with a handel, is still found frequently
throughout Bavaria, and you will often hear it referred to as a Mass
Krug, a mass being a full liter, enough to fill the Krug. The
earthenward Krug has generally been replaced with the Seidel, the same
but made out of glass. Americans generally refer to both as a Stein,
but my bavarian friend insists that the latter is called a Glass Krug.
Might I suggest that the glass one be called a Glass Mass Krug? In any
case, it's the same "mug," but made of glass, partly due to economics
(the Seidel being cheaper to produce), and partly due to the
phenominal attraction that these items have for tourists, as a
remembrance of their trip. By the same token, large establishments
such as Mathäser and the Hofbräuhaus in Munich use the 1,0 liter
Seidel, or Glass Krug, but without any emblem on it, - much less
attractive for collectors. Smaller, 0,5 liter Seidel are also used in
Bavaria, and wetsern Austria, while a 0,3 liter Seidel is occasionally
used in the north-German tradition. However, hang on, - according to
Thomas Fuchs, in eastern Austria, it is called a "Seiterl," and is
typically 0,33 liter, even if you ask for a "Seidl." Fuchs
Just to keep everything simple and clear, in Austria with Zipfer beer,
the 0,5 and 0,3 liter Seidl are referred to as "Kannen." It sounds
like "can,' but could be pot. The Zipfer Kanne is dumpy, and I believe
unique to Zipfer."


Perhaps a more general list of beer measurements would suffice?


How Many? A Dictionary of Units of Measurement
© Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

ALE GALLON [beer gallon, beer and ale gallon]:
"a traditional unit of liquid volume in Britain and the U.S., the ale
gallon was equal to 282 cubic inches (4.6212 liters) or about 1.2208
U.S.liquid gallon (1.0165 British imperial gallon). Standardized in
the sixteenth century under Queen Elizabeth I, the ale gallon remained
in use well into the nineteenth century but is obsolete today. It is
also called the beer and ale gallon."

BARREL (bbl or brl or bl):
"a commercial unit of volume used to measure liquids such as beer and
wine. The official U. S. definition of the barrel is 31.5 gallons,
which is about 4.211 cubic feet or 119.24 liters. This unit is the
same as the traditional British wine barrel. In Britain the barrel is
now defined to be 36 imperial gallons, which is substantially larger:
about 5.780 cubic feet or 163.66 liters. This unit is slightly smaller
than the traditional British beer and ale barrel, which held 5.875
cubic feet or 166.36 liters. There are other official barrels, defined
in certain U.S. states; most of them fall in the general range of
30-40 gallons. A barrel of beer in the U.S., for example, is usually
31 U.S. gallons (117.35 liters). The origin of the standard symbol bbl
is not clear. The "b" may have been doubled originally to indicate the
plural (1 bl, 2 bbl), or possibly it was doubled to eliminate any
confusion with bl as a symbol for the bale (see above)."

"a unit of volume for beer in South Australia. A butcher of beer is a
glass holding 200 milliliters (about 7 imperial fluid ounces). This is
called a glass [3] or a seven in other parts of Australia."

"a traditional unit of volume used for wines and other alcoholic
beverages. A butt is generally defined to be two hogsheads, but the
size of hogsheads varies according to the contents. In the United
States a hogshead is typically 63 gallons and a butt is 126 gallons:
about 16.844 cubic feet or 476.96 liters. In Britain, a butt of beer
is 108 imperial gallons: about 17.339 cubic feet or 490.98 liters. The
word comes from the Roman buttis, a large cask for wine."

"an informal French unit of volume for beer, generally equal to 250
milliliters (1/4 liter). The unit was originally a half pint

"a British unit of capacity equal to 9 imperial gallons.
British capacity unit, Imperial capacity unit - a unit of measure for
capacity officially adopted in the British Imperial System; British
units are both dry and wet
congius, Imperial gallon, gallon - a British imperial capacity measure
(liquid or dry) equal to 4 quarts or 4.545 liters
kilderkin - an obsolete British unit of capacity equal to 18 Imperial gallons.
firkin - a small wooden keg
keg - small cask or barrel"

GALLON (gal):
"a traditional unit of liquid volume, derived from the Roman galeta,
which originally meant a pailful. Gallons of various sizes have been
used in Europe ever since Roman times. In the United States, the
liquid gallon is legally defined as exactly 231 cubic inches; this is
equal to the old English wine gallon, which originated in medieval
times but was not standardized until 1707, during the reign of Queen
Anne. Some scholars believe the wine gallon was originally designed to
hold 8 troy pounds of wine. The U. S. gallon holds 4 liquid quarts or
exactly 3.785 411 784 liters; a U.S. gallon of water weighs about 8.33
pounds. American colonists were also familiar with the Elizabethan
beer and ale gallon, which held 282 cubic inches (4.621 liters)."

"a French name for a small glass of beer, typically 200 milliliters
(about 6.76 U.S. fluid ounces)."

"an informal unit of volume used in Australian pubs. In several states
of Australia a glass of beer is usually 200 milliliters, but it is 235
milliliters in Queensland and 285 milliliters in Western Australia."

"a container of beer designed for carryout. In the U.S., a growler
generally holds 1/2 gallon (about 1.89 liters)."

"an informal name for 1/2 of many units. For example, in Britain a
"half" often means a 1/2 pint glass of beer, cider, lemonade, or

"a traditional unit of volume for beer, used in pubs in the Northern
Territory of Australia. A handle of beer is 285 milliliters (10 fluid
ounces). Glasses of this size are called middies or pots in most
Australian states, schooners in South Australia."

"a traditional unit of volume for liquids. Originally the hogshead
varied with the contents, often being equal to 48 gallons of ale; 54
of beer; 60 of cider; 63 of oil, honey, or wine; or 100 of molasses.
In the United States, a hogshead is defined to hold 2 barrels, or 63
gallons; this was the traditional British wine hogshead. It is equal
to exactly 14 553 cubic inches, or about 8.422 cubic feet (238.48
liters). In the British imperial system, the hogshead equals 1/2 butt,
or 52.5 imperial gallons (8.429 cubic feet, or 238.67 liters). Thus
the British imperial and American hogsheads are almost exactly the
same size. No one seems to know for sure how this unit got its unusual

hogshead	54 gallons	240.624 litre	Beer measure, 6 firkins

"a traditional unit of volume or quantity, varying with the item
contained in the keg. A keg of herring, for example, contains 60 fish.
A keg of wine is frequently 12 U.S. gallons (about 45.42 liters), and
a keg of beer is 1/2 barrel or 15.5 U.S. gallons (about 58.67 liters).
"Keg" comes from an old Norse word for a small barrel."

Keg -- One-half barrel, or 15.5 U. S. gallons. A half keg or, 7.75 U.
S. gallons, is referred to as a pony-keg.
Keg-- A vessel holding 15.5 gallons that is used for serving beer in
large quantities."

MASS (maß):
"a unit of volume for beer in Germany and Austria, usually equal to one liter."

"an informal unit of volume for beer used in many Australian pubs. A
middy is generally 285 milliliters (or 10 British fluid ounces),
larger than a pony but smaller than a schooner."

"an informal unit of liquid volume. The term "nip" often means "a
small amount," with no precise equivalent. In U.S. bartending, a nip
is often taken to be 2 fluid ounces (about 59 milliliters). In
Britain, a nip of spirits is considered to be 1/6 gill (about 22.95
milliliters or 0.776 U.S. fluid ounce); a nip of beer is 1/4 pint (the
same as a gill, 4 fluid ounces or about 117.7 milliliters) or
sometimes 1/3 pint (189.4 milliliters)."

"a traditional British unit of volume, used for beer. A pin is very
different from a pint: it is equal to 1/8 barrel or 4.5 imperial
gallons (20.457 liters). There are 2 pins in a firkin."

PINT (pt):
"a unit of volume used in South Australian pubs. A pint of beer is
generally 425 milliliters in South Australia, or roughly 3/4 imperial
pint (15 fluid ounces)."

PONY [2]:
"a small glass for beer. In New South Wales, Victoria, South
Australia, and Western Australia, a pony of beer holds 140 milliliters
(about 5 British fluid ounces)."

PONY [3]:
"a small keg of beer. In the U.S., a pony keg holds 1/4 barrel or 7.75
U.S. gallons (about 29.34 liters)."

"a unit of volume used in Australian pubs. A pot of beer is 285
milliliters in Queensland and Victoria, 575 milliliters in Western

"a traditional unit of liquid volume. The puncheon is often reckoned
as equal to 70 gallons. In the U. S. system that would be about 9.358
cubic feet or 264.98 liters; in the British imperial system it would
be about 11.238 cubic feet or 308.34 liters. There are other versions
of the unit; in one version a puncheon of wine equals 84 wine (or
U.S.) gallons (roughly 308 liters); in another, a puncheon of beer
equals 72 gallons (roughly 272.5 liters)."

"a hearty draft.
draught, potation, tipple, draft - a serving of drink (usually
alcoholic) drawn from a keg; "they served beer on draft".

"an informal unit of liquid volume. A schooner is a large tumbler or
drinking glass holding about 400 milliliters or 13.5 U.S. fluid
ounces. Similarly, in Queensland, New South Wales, and the Northern
Territory (Australia) a schooner of beer holds 425 milliliters. In
South Australia, however, a schooner is only 285 milliliters."

"a traditional unit of liquid volume in Austria. The traditional
seidel was equal to about 354 milliliters; this is about 12.0 U.S.
fluid ounces or about 12.5 British fluid ounces. Today a seidel of
beer in southern Germany and Austria is a small mug holding 300-500
milliliters, frequently the latter (1/2 liter or about 16.91 U.S.
fluid ounces)."

"a unit of volume for beer in New South Wales and some other sections
of Australia. A seven of beer is a glass holding 200 milliliters
(about 7 imperial fluid ounces). This volume is called a butcher in
South Australia and a glass [3] many other parts of Australia."

"a unit of volume for beer in Western Australia, equal to 115
milliliters (4 Imperial fluid ounces). This quantity is a smaller
version of the 5-ounce pony; its name refers to Shetland ponies, small
horses from the Shetland Islands north of Scotland."

"a German beer mug. Steins come in various sizes, but the most common
size seems to be 1/2 liter (1.057 U.S pint or 0.880 British Imperial

"a traditional Australian beer bottle holding 375 milliliters."

If this is suitable, I'll be happy to post it as an answer, otherwise,
at least Australia will be done.

Subject: Re: Beer measures in pubs
From: ac67-ga on 30 Jul 2004 11:03 PDT
In the US, there is little standardization.  A lot of beer is served
in bottles, some in cans, these are usually 12 oz.  Otherwise, most
places will have one or two sizes of glasses, but no telling what they
will be.  One of them may be a pint, and this is the size most
commonly ordered by name, though what you get may or may not actually
be a pint.  About the only other term I have seen used in the US is a
shorty, which is usually about 7 oz, however I would imagine there
could be a lot of regional names that are occasionally used.

Of note, some states in the US regulate what size or packaging can be
sold, but most do not.
Subject: Re: Beer measures in pubs
From: cyrilprovost-ga on 17 Aug 2004 03:55 PDT
In france we use :

galopin: served in a wine glass (around 12 cls)
demi : 25 centiliters
sérieux : twice that size
formidable : double again :)

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy