Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: OBTAINING AN EU CITIZENSHIP ( Answered,   2 Comments )
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: muzmuz-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 01 Oct 2004 14:42 PDT
Expires: 31 Oct 2004 13:42 PST
Question ID: 409076
what is the fastest way to legally obtain an EU citizenship even if it
is one of the new countries just joined EU.
I need a comparison between more than one country and step by step
detiling what to do

Clarification of Question by muzmuz-ga on 01 Oct 2004 15:27 PDT
I'm 47 year old mail, have my own business.I'm an engineer with a BSc
from USA. I would like to keep my present citizenship also I want to
be able to grant my childeren the new citizenship.
they are 16 and 17 years old
Answered By: politicalguru-ga on 02 Oct 2004 03:56 PDT
Dear Muzmuz, 

Let me refer you, before I begin my answer, to the disclaimer on the
bottom of this page: "Answers and comments provided on Google Answers
are general information, and are not intended to substitute for
informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal,
investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not
endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product,
manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or
any opinion expressed in answers or comments".

All EU-Countries have a basic citizenship principle of "ius sanguinis"
(law of blood), which means that if you are born to parents with this
citizenship, or sometimes also parents of that heritage, you are
entitled to gain citizenship. Germany, for example, would accept in
the past legally anyone who proves to have been of a Russian-German
heritage, even if this person's grandparents (or great-grandparents)
were the German ones. However, the German law, similarly to other "ius
sanguinis" in other EU-countries, usually refers to first generation
(parents), and would consider grandparents only in extreme cases, such
as people who lost their citizenship during or in consequence of the
two German dictatorships.

However, some also have a principle of "ius soli" (law of the soil),
meaning that they'll grant citizenship to anyone born there,
regardless of their origin.

These are the two main ways to gain citizenship. I am pretty sure, by
your description, that you're neither of European origin, nor born in
Europe. There are, however, other ways.

- Citizenship by marriage (I don't think it is relevant here); 

- Citizenship by by Naturalization - this is probably the clause that
would fit you. Several countries in Europe have relatively convinient
citinzeship laws, although none of the European countries is an
immigration country per se.

Many of them - and the new members are actualy more strict here -
would not accept a new citizen who doesn't prove identitifcation with
the republic, as a community: knows the language, lives there for a
certain uninterrupted period, and give away any other citizenship they
might have.

These countries do not recognise dual citizenship (at least officially): 

    * Belgium - under certain condition, extreme cases. 
    * Denmark - unless there is a treaty with your country saying otherwise. 
    * Germany - officially, only extreme cases would be considered;
unofficially "German beaurocracy accepts dual citizenship in every
third case". (SOURCE: S.Beitz ? "Foreign immigrants living in
Germany", <>).
    * Luxembourg 
    * Spain
    * Czech Republic
    * Estonia
    * Hungary
    * Latvia
    * Lithuania
    * Poland
    * Slovenia
Countries that accept dual citizenship: 
    * Austria - under certain constraints
    * Finland 
    * France 
    * Greece 
    * Ireland 
    * Italy
    * The Netherlands - only under certain conditions and constraints. 
    * Portugal 
    * Sweden
    * United Kingdom
    * Cyprus
    * Malta
    * Slovakia - under contraints 

Links to the citizenship requierments of each of the above: 

    * Finland - Directorate of Immigration
<> : basically, you must
live legally for 6-8 years in Finland (as a permanent resident), show
proficiency of the Finish or the Swedish language (or the Finish sign
language); See specifically

    * France - Consulate in NY
(The French assume that if you want to become French, you must know
French). Basically, you have to live legally in France and show
linkage to the French culture. It is one of the most convinient
countries to immigrate to, in fact. Once you get a resident status (as
an engineer, for example), you can start applying for citizenship. You
haven't said anything about your original citizenship, but if you come
from a former French colony or from a country that has close cultural
ties with France, the period would be shorter, and it would be much
easier to receive French citizenship.

    * Germany - is added despite the fact that it officially does not
recognise in dual citizenship, because of the de-facto acceptance of
dual citizenship. GermanInfo (Consulate)
gives some information on becoming a German citizen.

    * Greece - <>
- no known schemes of immigration for people of non-Greek heritage.

    * Ireland - residential requirements
<> - only 4 years in an 8 years
period (relatively lax).
    * Italy - After living in Italy legally for 10 years.

    * The Netherlands - only under certain conditions and constraints.
You must live legally in the Netherlands and pass a naturaliastion
test (the Dutch language, knowledge about the country and its laws).
    * Portugal - Potruguese Citizenship Act
- 6-10 years of legal residency, "have a sufficient knowledge of the
Portuguese language" and "show the existence of an effective link with
the national community".

    * Sweden - Swedish Citizenship Act
<> (PDF
document - requires Acrobat Reader). - you need to reside legally for
a certain period, and be "integrated" in the society.

    * United Kingdom - one of the most convenient countries to
immigrate to, especially in comparison to the hurdles put by other
EU-members on citizenship. Maybe that's why they also have the best
economy in the EU (my opinion...). Immigration & Nationality
Directorate <>
lists several ways to become a British citizen:
; see also this chart
More about immigrating to the UK and about obtaining a visa to live
and work there, could be found in a previous answer I gave :  UK
immigration back doors?

    * Cyprus - You must reside legally in Cyprus for 7 years; See A
United Cyprus <>

<> - difficult to
obtain to people not of Maltese heritage.

    * Slovakia - under contraints . Five years of legal residence and
knowledge of the Slovak langauge.

Given the regulations in all EU countries, it would be impossible for
you to grant this citizenship to your children - they'll have to apply
themselves, either as adults living legally in the country (the same
way that you would have had), or as adult children of a citizen. None
fo the countries, thus, completely fills your requirements. In all of
them, you'll have to have a legal residency period, which is longer
than the time that it will take your children to reach adulthood.

It is not easy to immigrate anywhere these days. Your profession as an
engineer might help: try to apply to various schemes of "skilled
migrants". UK, France and maybe Germany (despite their official
refusal to acknowledge dual citizenship) might be good places to look
into; Sweden, Finland, Cuprus and Ireland are also worth a try. After
you'll receive a "skilled migrant" visa for you and for your family,
and would reside there legally for a certain period, demonstrating
other requirements (lanaguage, knowledge of the history/system for a
citizenship test), you can apply for citizenship.

Some of the sites I gave you also refer to that option, of bcoming a
skilled migrant. However, I stongly suggest, because laws and
regulations change all the time, that you'll apply in the consulate in
your country of residence, where they have the most actual information
for immigrants with your nationality. n any case, the question of
obtaining a residency or a work-permit in one of those countries is a
different question and would require a different research on my

I hope this answered your question. Please contact me if you need any
clarification on this answer.

Request for Answer Clarification by muzmuz-ga on 03 Oct 2004 10:35 PDT
I'm from Jordan
I need to know if it is possible to get a permanent residence in a
country (EU) by having an investment and then getting the citizenship.
If yes
- how much is the minimum amount
- dose the amount have to be fully broght by me or I can get a bank loan
- type of investment required(i.e. what kind)
- Amount of time to stay before applying to get the citizenship
- How long it takes to get it after you apply
-How much time you can stay out of the country per year

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 03 Oct 2004 12:49 PDT
Dear Muz Muz, 

Two countries in Europe have citizenship - though - investment
schemes: Austria and the UK. Lithuania has a clause that enables to
naturalise someone who contibutes to the economy, but does not
disclose how. Ireland used to have such a programme, but it has been
recently aborted.

Austria and Lithuania do not accept dual-citizenship. Austria demands
an investment of at least $2 Million - it is not disclosed if you
could take a loan (probably not) - and the citizneship itself is
pending upon a government decision (it must be approved by all
ministers. Given the fact that the Austrian government has the Freedom
Party - extreme Right wing - in coalition, I wouldn't put my hopes to
high there).
See: Henley Global - Austria <> 

As for the UK, "The applicant must be able to show evidence of money
of his own, under his control and disposable in the United Kingdom, of
no less than ?1 million; or [...] If the applicant can provide
evidence of a personal net worth of no less than ?2 million, the ?1
million sum for investment will be acceptable by way of a loan by a
financial institution that is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority (FSA)."
(Read More + SOURCE: IND,

All of these schemes would not reduce the time it takes to immigrate -
because one must still have to pass citizenship test, according to the
IND homepage.

Regarding your question on the time required to settle in a place -
this is dependant upon the place of living, and it is sometimes an
administrative decision, whether or not you're considered to live
there permanently or legally or not. Usually, they'll accept short
periods outside the country (for the purpose of tourism, business
trips, etc.), but some administrations are less tolerant towards any
time outside the country.

Request for Answer Clarification by muzmuz-ga on 26 Oct 2004 02:56 PDT
A-) If it comes to marriage to obtain the citizenship which countries
give you   the citizenship by marriage without residing in the
country. I heard France and Ireland used to do this.

B-) If it still exists, after how many years of marriage the eligibility.

C-) I heard also if you buy a property in some countries you are
eligible for citizenship (Putugal for example)

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 26 Oct 2004 04:00 PDT

In most - almost all (excluding Denmark) - EU countries, marriage to
an EU citizen would enable you to live and to work in that country, or
in any other country in the EU. However, this has nothing to do with
citizenship. They don't grant the citizenship automatically, after the
marriage. It would, however, give you the legal permission to reside
in the country, which would count towards the period you have to go
before becoming a citizen. Specifically, The French require one year
of marriage, a declaration before the French Consulate, and no
residency requirements. The French law changes now, so it might be
different. The following have residential requirements: In Ireland - 3
years, but there is a residential requirement; Hungary - 3 years ;
Portugal - 3 years; UK - 3 years.

"Buying property in Portugal" is not a possibility of getting a citizenship there.

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 26 Oct 2004 04:03 PDT
Correction: Buying property in Portugal enables - under some
provisions (you should check in the Portuguese consulate as they
change) - getting a residential permit. However, this does not ensuer

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 26 Oct 2004 04:06 PDT
Dear Muzmuz, 

I found this site, providing services for people wishing to obtain a
second citizenship fast. However, I cannot guarentee that their
information or services are totally "kosher" (or for you: Hallal :-) :
Programs of fast reception of the second passport and citizenship

They have several programmes of immigration to the EU, some of which
have an option to pass the citizenship to your family.

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 26 Oct 2004 04:08 PDT
Yet another correction: The site provides only information (probably
similar in spirit to what I've been offering) on how to attain the
citizneship, but in fact DOES NOT act as a go-between or promotes your
chances of receiving one. I withdraw my recommendation.
From: probonopublico-ga on 02 Oct 2004 01:44 PDT
If you can prove an ancestral connection, this might help.

For example, I have been told that I could become an Irish citizen
based on my maternal grandfather's origin.

Of course, proving my grandfather's origin is not easy.
From: jonathanojordan-ga on 09 Nov 2004 09:40 PST
This is to a address Politicalguru's statement that in order to become
an Irish citizen by marriage to an Irish citizen, there is a 3 year
residency requirement. Unless the law has been changed very recently,
this is not true. I am an Irish citizen living in the USA and married
a US citizen...She was able to become an Irish citizen because she was
married to me, an Irish citizen, without an residency period in
Ireland. In fact, she became an Irish citizen without ever having set
foot in Ireland. What Politicalguru maybe be refering to was the
requirement that she be married to an Irish citizen for at least 3
years before she could apply for Irish citizenship...there is a 3 year
requirement, but it does not have to while resident in Ireland. I
would also suggest that you check the residency rules of the other
countries that Politicalguru states have a residency require to see if
those country really have a "residency" requirement or is it like the
case with Ireland, that is the period for which you most be married
before you can apply for citizenship. I hope this helps.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy