Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: One who studies bats ( Answered,   0 Comments )
Subject: One who studies bats
Category: Reference, Education and News
Asked by: rainmakerx97-ga
List Price: $2.00
Posted: 18 Oct 2004 12:28 PDT
Expires: 17 Nov 2004 11:28 PST
Question ID: 416575
Is there an actual title given to one who studies "bats"? Not baseball
bats, but bats as in "flying furry mammals."  I have already
discovered the terms "chiroptera" and "chiropteran"
Subject: Re: One who studies bats
Answered By: pinkfreud-ga on 18 Oct 2004 12:51 PDT
The term for a person who studies bats is 'chiroptologist' or a
'chiropterologist'. The former term is more often used in the United
States, and the latter is more common in Europe.

"Ms. Belwood grew up in New York City and, by the time she was 12,
decided she wanted to be a biologist. At Carleton University in
Ottawa, she worked with a biologist who specialized in bats and
inspired her to follow suit.

And that's how she came to be a chiroptologist. A what? She goes back
to the shelves and returns with a giant black plastic bat.

'Chiro meaning hand,' she says.

'And ptera meaning wing. So if you look at the bat's wing, you see
it's really a hand. The hook at the top crook of the wing is a thumb.
And these bones that form the structure of the wing? They're like a
hand. See how the fingers are jointed, just like mine?'

She wiggles her fingers to illustrate. Ms. Belwood clearly knows a lot
about bats. She has been around the world studying them, poking around
in caves in the Caribbean and throughout Europe, Southeast Asia and
North Africa."

Cincinnati Post: The bat's best friend

"Donald R. Griffith, Rockefeller University's eminent chiroptologist
(and author of Listening in the Dark: Echolocation in Bats and Men)"

Harper's Magazine: Inhaling the spore: field trip to a museum of natural history 

"[Don] Wilson, an affable, silver-haired mammalogist who specializes
in chiropterology (the study of bats)..."

Smithsonian Magazine: All Creatures Considered

 an international journal of chiropterology" 

Biology Browser: Chiroptera

"Some have defined a cryptozoologist as a zoologist (that is, someone
with a university degree in zoology) with an interest in Cryptozoology
(after all, zoologists specializing in specific areas can go by
chiropterologist [bat researcher], cetologist [cetacean researcher],
and so forth)."

Cryptozoology Squared: A Treatise on Cryptozoology 

Google search strategy:

Google Web search: chiroptologist OR chiroptology

Google Web Search: chiropterologist OR chiropterology

I hope this is helpful. If anything is unclear or incomplete, please
request clarification; I'll be glad to offer further assistance before
you rate my answer.

Best regards,
There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy