House dust is the major cause of year-round runny or stuffy nose,
itchy, watery eyes, and sneezing for allergy sufferers. Dust can also
make people with asthma suffer attacks or wheezing coughing and
shortness of breath..
Why does house dust cause allergic reactions?
House dust is a mixture of many kinds of waste materials. Its content
varies from home to home, depending on the type of furniture, building
materials used, presence of pets, and other factors. A speck of dust
may contain fabric fibers, human skin particles, animal dander,
microscopic creatures called mites, bacteria, parts of cockroaches,
mold spores, food particles and other debris. A person may be allergic
to one or more of these substances and, if exposed to the dust, will
have an allergic reaction.
Is dust allergy a sign of a dirty house?
No, a dirty house can make a house dust allergy problem worse, but in
all likelihood, normal housekeeping procedures may not be enough to
relieve house dust allergy symptoms. Tiny creatures called house dust
mites seem to be the major allergen (cause of allergic reactions) in
house dust. A recent study in England showed that 10 percent of the
general population and 90 percent of people with allergic asthma have
positive skin test for allergy to dust mites. Recent studies in the
U.S. suggest that at least 45 percent of young people with asthma are
allergic to dust mites.
People allergic to dust mites react to proteins in the bodies and
digestive waste (feces) of the mites. These waste particles are so
tiny and light that they float easily into the air when anyone walks
on the carpet or disturbs bedding. When allergic people inhale these
particles, they suffer symptoms.
No matter how vigorously you dust or vacuum, you will not reduce the
number of dust mites present deep within carpeting and mattresses. In
fact, usual cleaning methods actually put more dust into the air,
making symptoms worse.
What are dust mites?
Dust mites belong to the family of 8-legged creatures called
Arachnids. This family also includes spiders, chiggers, and ticks.
Dust mites - which can only be seen with a microscope - are hardy
creatures that live well and multiply easily in warm, humid places.
They prefer temperatures at or above 70°ree;F with relative humidity
at 75-80 percent. Mites die when the humidity falls below 40-50
percent and are rarely found in very dry climates.
As many as 18,875 dust mites can live in one gram of dust, but the
usual population is about 100 to 500 mites per gram. (A gram is about
the weight of a paper clip). Each mite produces about 10-20 waste
particles each day and lives for 30 days. Egg-laying females can add
25-30 new mites to the population.
Mites eat particles of skin and dander and thrive in bedding,
carpeting, upholstered furniture, clothing, closets, and automobile
seats - all likely to contain skin particles. Dust mites don't bite,
cannot spread diseases, and never live on people, only in the
environment. They are harmful only to people who become allergic to
them. While usual household insecticides have no effect on dust mites,
a new product (described later) is now available to kill mites and
help remove them from carpeting.
Thus, this might be some of the many factors that causes your guests
catching flu though he is staying in a seperate room but through room
physical or interior aspect dust mite or other relative germs may
travel through air.
Hope this would help you understand the possible causes of not changing bed sheets.
Ask him if he wanted to join Guiness Book of Records he might win as
the Dirtiest Bed in the world.
Have a nice day!