Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: traditional, unusual drinking glass ( No Answer,   6 Comments )
Subject: traditional, unusual drinking glass
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: pauletto-ga
List Price: $5.00
Posted: 07 Apr 2005 09:48 PDT
Expires: 07 May 2005 09:48 PDT
Question ID: 506323
Trying to find the proper terms for an item I want to buy/search for...  it's a
traditional drinking glass from a northern european country, and it's
very unusual.  I think it's for gin, vodka, brandy or schnapps, and
it's described as a stem with three flutes at the top, all connected at
the bottom.

e-bay has a similar item on sale, as seen in the link, calling this a
"triple shot glass".

So I don't think "triple shot glass" is the correct term for this
traditional glass (I think the people at goldschlager coined the
term), and I'd like to find other examples of this
glass...  and where I can buy them...  I don't want a commercialized
name like "Goldschlager" printed on it.  I'd even like to find
information on it's origins.

Please help!
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: myoarin-ga on 07 Apr 2005 10:39 PDT
The link didn't work for me, but I found the item.
I have been living in Germany for decades and think I can say
definitively that this is not a traditional item, although there are
"trick-type" glasses with a long history.  But, of course, there is no
solvable trick with this one.  You get an eyeful or collar-full anyway
you try to drink  - unless, maybe, you manage to pour all three shots
from a distance into your mouth.  I doubt it.
Goldschlager is a German producer of stronger stuff. I would venture
to say that the thing is only advertising gag, and certainly not of
any age, and also that you won't find one with the the name on it.
Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: pauletto-ga on 07 Apr 2005 11:39 PDT
This is not a trick glass...  I've actually used one in the past... 
NOT a Goldschlager one.  You'd be suprised if you saw it in action.

Although I am grateful for a quick reply, I hope this is not the
answer to my question...  It doesn't seem like any real research was
Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: hammer-ga on 07 Apr 2005 12:12 PDT

An official answer will appear in the Answer area. You will not be
charged for comments or clarification requests. Your question will
remian open until it expires, or an official answer is posted by a
Google Answers Researcher.

- Hammer
Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: myoarin-ga on 07 Apr 2005 16:58 PDT
Hammer-ga is quite right, my comment is only that, but I will stick to
my opinion that this is not a traditional German glass, whereby for
me, traditional means 19th century or older.
I am sure that I would be surprised to se it action, ... and curious ??
Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: pauletto-ga on 07 Apr 2005 19:00 PDT
It's definitely for gin or vodka or schnapps... and I don't think it's
German.  It's either Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian...  possibly
from Sweden, Iceland or Greenland, but I don't think so...  All I know
is I've used one and they're crazy wierd looking and really
interesting to look at.

As far as it not being a trick glass, I guess the reason the two
flutes you don't drink from don't spill on you is that you're sucking
the liquid in as you drink...  the vessel actually empties
correctly...  Into your belly.

I agree with your concept of traditional and stick by my declaration
that this item is just that.  If you find more than one I'll buy you
the other.
Subject: Re: traditional, unusual drinking glass
From: wimthepimscake-ga on 08 Apr 2005 02:20 PDT
These were originally a Goldschlager liquour promotional item from
around 1983. Each glass is made of blown glass, not plastic like the
knowoffs and consists of three flutes that connect at the top of the
ruby stem and flow together, so that when you pour the Goldschager or
other liquour in one flute, the other two flutes also get filled. The
overall glass measures 6-1/2" tall with a 2-1/2" wide bottom and gold
lettering spelling GOLDSCHLAGER.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy