Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: US Citizen wants to purchase a home/retire in Australia ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: US Citizen wants to purchase a home/retire in Australia
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: purplestring-ga
List Price: $20.00
Posted: 11 May 2005 17:25 PDT
Expires: 10 Jun 2005 17:25 PDT
Question ID: 520666
I've heard that only Australian citizens and permanent residents can
purchase property in Australia. Is this true? Is there any way that my
spouse and I (US citizens) could retire in Australia, including
purchasing a home? We would be willing to donate the property to a
land conservancy in Australia after our deaths. We are both 45 and
therefore not likely to be able to emigrate now via the Australian
point system, nor would we be likely to both be able to find jobs
there now. We are interested in living in rural Queensland (Atherton
Tablelands). I mention this only because emigration policy seems to
vary somewhat by area--they appear to want more people for rural
areas. The ability to purchase a home is a critical factor.
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: US Citizen wants to purchase a home/retire in Australia
From: k1s-ga on 12 May 2005 04:07 PDT
Hi, it's not true that only Australians can purchase property. There
are a few guidelines for foreign investors, but here's what I've

"Foreign interests are usually given approval to buy vacant
residential land on condition that construction of a dwelling is to
commence within 12 months. Approval will also usually be granted to
buy home units and townhouses off the plan, under construction or
newly constructed (but never occupied), on condition that no more than
half of the units in any one development are sold to foreign

Other situation where approval is normally granted includes: 

Foreign companies buying residences in Australia for their senior executives 

*** Foreign nationals temporarily resident in Australia for more than
12 months buying for their own use, as a principal place of residence
subject to the sale of the property when they cease to reside in

Foreign nationals purchasing residential real estate as joint tenant
with an Australian spouse."

And also from

"Q6. I am a foreign person living in Australia on a long stay,
temporary resident visa. Do I need approval to buy an established
house to live in?

A. Yes. Foreign persons temporarily resident in Australia for a period
exceeding 12 months from the time of application for approval are
eligible under foreign investment policy to acquire residential real
estate. If the property being purchased is an established dwelling,
that is, one that has been previously occupied or sold, foreign
investment approval is still available provided that the dwelling is
to be used as the person?s principal place of residence, not for
rental purposes and the property must be sold when their visa expires
or they cease to reside in Australia. For more detailed information,
see Policy Documents
[]. "

The Atherton Tableands is a lovely area too. I hope you enjoy it!

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy