Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Registering a company's name ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Registering a company's name
Category: Business and Money > Small Businesses
Asked by: iammar-ga
List Price: $35.00
Posted: 20 May 2005 02:18 PDT
Expires: 19 Jun 2005 02:18 PDT
Question ID: 523623
I'am situated in Kuwait and I would like to know how to register my
companys Trade Name(When only one person is registering a business
name also called a sole proprietorship, a trade name is used) for my
eCommerce business ? As the rules of Kuwait states that the person
starting anything should be a citizen of Kuwait and should be above 18
(I'am not a citizen nor above 18).I've heard that there are private
firms in the silicon valley which registers business name for any
business.Please recommend me these private firms.


Request for Question Clarification by pafalafa-ga on 20 May 2005 04:21 PDT
Hello iammar-ga,

'Registering' a business name can mean several things, at least from
my experience here in the US.  It can mean:

1.  Getting a domain name, like

2.  Registering a trademark for a service or product you provide.

3.  Forming a formal corporation or some other form of business
organization like a LLC (limited liability corporation).  A company
like this one:

can handle international incorporations.

Can you let us know which of these you're most interested in.  And
also, where you are interested in 'registering' -- in Kuwait, the US
or somewhere else?



Clarification of Question by iammar-ga on 20 May 2005 05:26 PDT
dear sir,
         I would like to Register a trademark for a service or product
I provide and register my companys name so that I alone can only have
the authority to license my company's the name to someone (I would
like to make the name my asset).

And I would like to register the name in Kuwait or USA. Since Kuwait
does not allow minors (age below 18)I think USA is the only option.

Subject: Re: Registering a company's name
Answered By: pafalafa-ga on 20 May 2005 08:37 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello again iammar-ga,

Thanks for getting back to me with additional was a big help.

You can certainly file for a trademark in the United States, even
without being a US citizen:


Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to obtain a federal registration? 

No. However, an applicant's citizenship must be set forth in the
record. If an applicant is not a citizen of any country, then a
statement to that effect is sufficient. If an applicant has dual
citizenship, then the applicant must choose which citizenship will be
printed in the Official Gazette and on the certificate of

You can even expand trademark protection outside of the US via the US
filing process, by following the international procedures listed here:


Is a federal registration valid outside the United States? 

No. However, if you are a qualified owner of a trademark application
pending before the USPTO, or of a registration issued by the USPTO,
you may seek registration in any of the countries that have joined the
Madrid Protocol by filing a single application, called an
"international application," with the he International Bureau of the
World Property Intellectual Organization, through the USPTO. For more
information about the Madrid Protocol, click here [you'll need to
visit the site to actually click on the link, though]

As a first step, though, you should search the trademark database to
make sure the name you want to use is not already in use by another
entity.  You can search the database here:


Simply enter your trademark term in the box labeled "Term 1: and hit search.

To get started on the application process, you can use the forms and
instructions provided here:
Where Do I Start?

and general information on the application process is available here:
Trademark Electronic Application System

Lastly, after applying, you can keep track of the progress of your
application, as explained here:
You may monitor the progress of your application through the TARR
database  or our status line at 703-305-8747.

Please note that there are fees for applying, and the fee is variable
depending on what type of mark you eventually apply for.  The fees
start at around $300 per application, but can be higher as well.

I trust this is the information you will need to accomplish your
registration and hopefully get your service or product protected by
the legal status of having a US trademark.

However, please do not rate this answer if there is anything else you
feel you need.  Just post a Request for Clarification to let me know
how I can help you further, and I am at your service.

Best of luck,


search strategy -- Used bookmarked site for USPTO
iammar-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Registering a company's name
From: pafalafa-ga on 20 May 2005 10:55 PDT
Thank you, and all the best,


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy