Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Teaching Credential in Oregon & Washington ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   0 Comments )
Subject: Teaching Credential in Oregon & Washington
Category: Reference, Education and News > Education
Asked by: dalman-ga
List Price: $9.87
Posted: 01 Jun 2005 12:08 PDT
Expires: 01 Jul 2005 12:08 PDT
Question ID: 528240
My wife and I are currently living in southern CA. Looking to cash in
on the equity our house still has, we are thinking of moving to OR or
WA. However, my wife has her teaching credential in CA. My question is
How easy is it for someone with a CA teaching credential to transfer
it to OR or Washington State? She has a basic teaching credential with
a CLAD certification
Subject: Re: Teaching Credential in Oregon & Washington
Answered By: czh-ga on 02 Jun 2005 17:55 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Hello dalman-ga,

Both Washington and Oregon are eager to recruit qualified teachers.
Here are the websites that spell out the instructions on how to
transfer an out-of-state teaching license/credential. The websites
offer lots of information to help you educate yourself about current
practices and opportunities in each state.

Good luck.

~ czh ~

Superintendent of Public Education -- Washington

The Professional Certification Office verifies preparation and
continuing education for individual certification applicants, ensuring
they meet or exceed state requirements.
14. Can I, as an experienced teacher from out-of-state, qualify for
the Professional Teacher Certificate without enrolling in a program?
What about reciprocity?

Currently, reciprocity agreements cover only the first level of
certification, not the advanced level. There is a reciprocity
agreement with Oregon. Teachers who have earned the Oregon Continuing
Teaching License since 1999 qualify for the Professional Certificate.
Unless you hold a certificate from the National Board for Professional
Teaching Standards, you will need to, at a minimum, register for a
preassessment seminar. During that seminar the college/university, in
collaboration with your district, will evaluate your background to
determine whether or not your course work and previous certification
activities are equivalent to its approved Professional Certificate
program and/or meet the professional certificate standards/criteria.
If it is not equivalent, you would proceed through the program as any
other Professional Certificate candidate, completing the missing
pieces. If the equivalent of the program has been met, you would apply
for the Professional Certificate through that college/university, and
that institution would verify completion of program requirements to

The Teacher Standards and Practices Commission ensures that every
student in Oregon is taught by caring, competent and ethical
I am currently licensed in another state and would like to get an
Oregon license. What do I do?

If you hold a valid license from another state, you may be eligible
for the Transitional License. You will need to be able to show proof
that you have completed an approved Teacher education program and/or
that you hold a full-time teaching license from any state. To order an
application packet, please use the Contact Us, Request for an
Application Packet. Include your name, address and select the
appropriate license packet.

A transitional license is good for three years during which you will
need to complete the requirements for an initial license. These
requirements will be spelled out for you in a letter you receive with
your license.


teaching oregon OR Washington
teaching credential oregon OR Washington
superintendent of public instruction oregon OR Washington
dalman-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $1.00
Thanks for the answer! It's what I needed!

There are no comments at this time.

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy