Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Adding middle name ( Answered 4 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Adding middle name
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: pkrishnam-ga
List Price: $15.00
Posted: 26 Jul 2005 11:21 PDT
Expires: 25 Aug 2005 11:21 PDT
Question ID: 548121
I would like to add a middle name to my son's name.  How do I go about
doing that?  Does it require name change on birth certificate and
social security card?

Request for Question Clarification by tutuzdad-ga on 26 Jul 2005 11:42 PDT
It probably depends on the laws of your particular country/state. What
country/state would you like researched?


Clarification of Question by pkrishnam-ga on 26 Jul 2005 11:57 PDT
I live in Georgia, United States.  But my son was born in New York.
Subject: Re: Adding middle name
Answered By: tutuzdad-ga on 26 Jul 2005 12:20 PDT
Rated:4 out of 5 stars
Dear pkrishnam-ga;

Thank you for allowing me to answer your interesting question.

Under Georgia law a name change is any change that is made to the name
as it was originally recorded on the birth certificate. By adding or
changing the middle name of the child you are effectively altering the
entire name. In order to do this legally one must petition the court.
Fortunately there is not much to this process.

The name change laws for Georgia are governed by 19-12-1 of the Georgia Code:


Upon legally changing the name of the minor child you (on behalf of
the child) will receive a name change certificate issued by the state
as proof of the change (Georgia Code 19-12-3. Certificate of change of
name; use as evidence):


There are some online resources that can assist you in obtaining this
name change for a fee. I cannot vouch for their legitimacy however and
recommend you speak with a lawyer before agreeing to any contracts
with any of these agencies. Here are two such companies:



I hope you find that my answer exceeds your expectations. If you have
any questions about my research please post a clarification request
prior to rating the answer. Otherwise I welcome your rating and your
final comments and I look forward to working with you again in the
near future. Thank you for bringing your question to us.

Best regards;
Tutuzdad-ga ? Google Answers Researcher


Defined above



Google ://


Name change




pkrishnam-ga rated this answer:4 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Adding middle name
From: denco-ga on 26 Jul 2005 14:04 PDT
Howdy pkrishnam-ga,

To hopefully add to Tutuzdad-ga's answer, here is where to find the
information on how to make the changes to your son's Social Security
card.  To avoid future problems that your son might have, I would
think it would be prudent to do this change with the Social Security
department.  Please note that his Social Security number will not
change and there is no charge for the name change on this document.

"If you need to replace a lost Social Security card, change the name
shown on your card, or request a replacement card, you will need to
complete an application to receive a Social Security card."

Looking Forward, denco-ga - Google Answers Researcher

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy