Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: CE Certification ( No Answer,   1 Comment )
Subject: CE Certification
Category: Miscellaneous
Asked by: brandon0692-ga
List Price: $50.00
Posted: 03 May 2006 13:21 PDT
Expires: 02 Jun 2006 13:21 PDT
Question ID: 725190
Does US manufactured equipment need to be CE certified if it
temporarily imported into an EU country for the purpose of performing
a repair?
There is no answer at this time.

Subject: Re: CE Certification
From: thursdaylast23-ga on 04 May 2006 18:41 PDT
To me as a non-specialist reader of regulatory material, the
guidelines on the requirements for CE certification (official term:
"CE marking") in the official documentation seem to require more
information than you give above. Certain kinds of equipment and
products are exempted, or the definition of the key terms of put "on
the market" and "into service" can vary depending on the specific
class/kind of equipment. Below is the official website where you can
read/download the PDF files containing the regulations. Sections 2 & 3
are probably the most relevant as a start, although there's an outside
chance that Section 9.2 has some application, since it has to do with
"mutual recognition agreements" between the EU and "third party
countries" like the US as to equivalencies of standards. (The
information about the state of negotiations is general rather than
specific, and the dates mentioned not very recent.)

In going through several sections, I would guess that the following
points might be particularly applicable to your question (some or all
of which you may already know):

*the regulations apply to "used" as well as "new" equipment.

*imports intended for "own use" can be considered as "being placed on
the market at the moment they enter the Community," and thus subject
to the CD markings requirement.

*if you are not a "manufacturer" or a "distributor," you may fall
under the regulations as "the importer." All of these terms are
specified in detail, I think in Section 3.

*the regulations in Section 3.6 (page 5) detail the responsibilities
of an "employer," which may be applicable if you are using any person
who has a legal standing in an EU country to do the repair work. The
"employer" is responsible for the "use of work equipment by workers at
work," and "may only obtain or use work equipment that complies with
the provisions of the applicable directives." (Of course, then you
have to figure out what the "applicable directives" are for the
particular equipment you want to use.)

The European Commission
Guide to the Implementation of Directives Based on New Approach and Global Approach

Hope this helps as a start, and/or gives you some idea of what more
specific information you may need to post to get a more definitive

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy