Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Japanese Courses in London ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Japanese Courses in London
Category: Reference, Education and News > Education
Asked by: mstevens-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 01 May 2002 08:39 PDT
Expires: 08 May 2002 08:39 PDT
Question ID: 8149
Where can I find Japanese courses in London (UK)?
I'm looking for one or more part-time courses (I need to be able to
do these evenings and weekends) which will allow me to start with
no knowledge of Japanese, and eventually acquire either a BA
in Japanese or knowledge of Japanese to a similiar level.
Subject: Re: Japanese Courses in London
Answered By: waggawa-ga on 01 May 2002 10:49 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Many courses are offered monthly for roughly 6-12 week durations.

The two top most recommended sites in my searches were the Alpha
Japanese Institute (a Japan-based language school with a branch in the
UK), and the University of London's part-time course offerings.

Alpha Japanese Institute 
(location: Covent Garden, and various locations in Japan)
Covent Garden School 
3-5 Neal Street
Covent Garden
WC2H 9QL London
tel: +44 (0) 20 72408761

The Institute maintains two programs of study: Japanese Language
training for both corporate and academic clients and training of
Japanese language teachers. We are pleased to say that our efforts are
held in very high regard by diplomats, educators and businessman in

They offer 4-12 week courses, from "1st Month course" (intro level) to
Business Japanese. You can call for a free trial lesson.
Here is an example schedule showing the flexibility of the course: 
Beginner Japanese, 8 week term, Mon, Wed, and Fri. Choose the classes
at 10-00-12:00, 13:30-15:00, or 19:00-20:30.

University of London-School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
(location: Russell Square/British Museum)
The Courses Secretary, SOAS Language Centre
School of Oriental and African Studies
Thornhaugh Street 
Russell Square, LONDON WC1H OXG 
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7898 4888
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7898 4889

Diploma and Certificate courses in Modern Japanese are taught in the
Language Centre (e.g. Diploma in Japanese for International Business).
The school provide beginners, intermediate and advanced evening and
daytime courses in groups of 12 students or fewer that last ten to
twelve weeks (the next one starts now, beginning of May). They also
offer intensive summer courses in July and August. Alternatively, they
arrange individually tailored courses and in-company instruction.
The SOAS is sponsoring the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
which officially certifies language proficiency.


The Nihongo Centre London
They offer various courses in locations around London (e.g. Berlitz on
Grosvenor St., community colleges). The site provides a rich source of
information on learning about Japan and Japanese, including the
proficiency exam outline and requirements.
The Japan Foundation Nihongo Centre
27 Knightsbridge
London SW1X 7LY
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7838 9955
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7838 9966

the Cactus Language lists Japanese courses at the London Piccadilly
(location: Green Park/Piccadilly Circus)
Survival Evening Course (1 lesson per week): Mondays or Wednesdays,
6.30-8.30pm for 6 or 12 week terms.
Survival Evening Course (2 lessons per week): Tuesdays and Thursdays,
6.30-8.30pm for 6 or 12 week terms.
Longterm Evening Course (1 lesson per week): Tuesdays or Thursdays,
6.30-8.30pm for 11 week terms.

the Association for Japanese-Language Teaching (AJALT), who puts out
the popular "Japanese for Busy People" book and cassette tape language
learning series, offers courses.
AJALT dispatches instructors to various Japanese language teaching
institutions located throughout Japan as well as abroad. Overseas
assignments are usualy financed by the Japan Foundation, or in certain
cases, by direct agreement. Most requests to supply instructors in
Japan are from colleges and universities.

Languages for Business Communication offers weekly classes, 1-2 Week
Intensive language courses, and Weekend courses
227 LINCOLN Avenue, Twickenham- TW2 6NL
Tel : +44 (0)20 8893 3988


The (JICC) Japan Information and Cultural Centre of the Embassy of
Japan (in the UK) provides more contacts and learning support,
including videos, books, and scholarships for learning Japanese.
Japan Information and Cultural Centre (JICC)
Embassy of Japan
101-104 Piccadilly
London   W1J 7JT 
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7465 6500   
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7491 9347
Opening hours 9.30am - 1.00pm and 2.30pm - 5.30pm 
Enquiry section closes at 5:00pm 

You may want to look into the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET)
Program. or
The program, established in 1987, encourages overseas (non-Japanese)
students to participate in international exchange and foreign language
education in Japan. Conducted by local governments, the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Education, and the Ministry of Home
Affairs and the Council of Local Authorities for International
Relations (CLAIR). Scholarships are available. Often, you would teach
English in Japan in exchange for learning Japanese. Additional
information is available on the Council for International Exchange's
Web site:

You can also try searching Google with the terms
recommend OR recommended

Request for Answer Clarification by mstevens-ga on 01 May 2002 11:05 PDT
My main interest was on a part-time evening course which would eventually
lead to a BA in Japanese (see the question) most of this information (whilst
very good) is regarding more general japanese classes - were you
able to find any part-time degree courses? 
(personally i've not been able to track this down - I can find Japanese
related degrees, but only full-time)

Clarification of Answer by waggawa-ga on 01 May 2002 13:25 PDT
The JLPT proficiency test is a better language qualification than a
Bachelors in Japanese since it is standardized internationally. The
Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is an internationally
recognised qualification sponsored by the Japan Foundation.

The courses offered by the different programs would bring you through
introduction to advanced level proficiency. Is your language
capability more important to you or the type of degree/certification?

If you really must have a bachelors degree in Japanese, the part-time
options in London only offer Japanese as a component of another
bachelors degree, say linguistics and Japanese or international
business and Japanese. The Japanese language learning you would get in
this case may be equivalent to that obtained from a diploma or
certificate in Japanese (as identified previously). Full-time
Japanese-only programs are immersive, often involving some time in

Your other option, if you already have a Bachelors degree of some
sort, is to consider a part-time Masters (MA) in Japanese. That will,
in any case, require some background in Japanese.

Some part time BA degrees where Japanese is a component:

Kingston University
japanese language as part of a bachelors degree (say, economics and
Japanese, international studies and Japanese, etc.)
Kingston University
River House
53-57 High Street
Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 1LQ

Goldsmiths College, University of London
Professional and Community Education (PACE)
PACE offers a wide range of part-time language courses, including
[...] Japanese. There is also a programme of pre- and in-service
training courses for language teachers, translators and interpreters.
Please see the PACE Prospectus for full details
or phone 0800 0920 659 for a copy. 
(Japanese courses listed on prospectus: Japanese Language, Life and
Culture 1 & 2 (30 weeks each)

University of Westminster postgraduate modules
Modules on offer are French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese (all
from beginners to advanced level), Teaching Foreign Languages, and
Cross Cultural Communication. In addition Polylang offers English for
Academic Purposes modules for students whose mother tongue is not
English. All modules are assessed by coursework and examination. As
Polylang is at undergraduate level these modules are studied as an
extra element rather than within a postgraduate programme.
For registration details telephone +44 (0)20 7911 5000 x 2062 or see
the Polylang website 
Education Liaison
Room 405, 9-18 Euston Centre
London NW1 3ET
mstevens-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Japanese Courses in London
From: ghost99-ga on 01 May 2002 08:54 PDT
Hi mstevens

Have you tried

Or maybe this little search engine:

Best wishes

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy