Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: sexual desire & ability ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   5 Comments )
Subject: sexual desire & ability
Category: Health > Men's Health
Asked by: msb123-ga
List Price: $10.00
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 09:45 PDT
Expires: 22 Sep 2005 09:45 PDT
Question ID: 559298
As a 52 year old gay man, I have had a marked decrease in sexual
desire and ability. This is, of course, a very sensitive and
embarrassing subject and one that I am having difficulity discussing
with my doctor.  I would like to explore with my doctor whether this
is a "normal" aging process or if it could be andropause. When I have
gently broached this with him in the past, he glazed over it (wich
made me feel more embarrassed) and said I should just explore mental
health therapy first.
I would like to see an endrocronologist or another men's health
specialist.  Any suggestions on which type of specialist to see and how can
I get my MD to hear me? Thanks.
Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
Answered By: nenna-ga on 23 Aug 2005 14:41 PDT
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Hello MSB123-ga

Men don?t actually see a decrease in sexual desire and feeling as they
get older, it?s not age, it?s other causes. It just plain takes longer
sometimes for a man. What a younger man can do in 30 seconds, it may
take 10 or 15 minutes for an older man to achieve an erection and
sensitivity. It could just be a lack of enough manual stimulation for
you as well. (How do men change
physically with age, and how does that affect sex?)

Men as they age also experience a loss of androgens in your body,
which can affect your sex drive. You could also be experiencing a lack
of testosterone. You may also suffer Erectile Dysfunction which are
both common in men your age. (Is the
fact that I'm getting on in age affecting my sex drive?)

?When a man can't get an erection to have sex or can't keep an
erection long enough to finish having sex, it's called erectile
dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction is also called impotence. Erectile
dysfunction can occur at any age, but it is more common in men older
than 65.? (What is Erectile Dysfunction)

It?s possible it could be Andropause as the symptoms are 
?Symptoms of male Andropause may include lethargy or decreased energy,
decreased libido or interest in sex, erectile dysfunction with loss of
erections, muscle weakness and aches, inability to sleep, hot flashes,
night sweats, depression, infertility and thinning of bones or bone

If you are experiencing a number of these along with the sexual
issues, please talk to you Dr. (We?ll cover that in a minute). (About Andropause) (Also about Andropause)

You should go to your Doctor or an urologist and tell them about these
concerns. Read up on them before you go and go with a list of
questions that you need answered so you can make sure you get all the
information you deserve and he has to listen to you. If you still feel
uncomfortable, go get a second opinion with another Doctor you do not
normally see. Ask for a testosterone level check and talk about a
possible drop in Androgen levels. Ask for information on Erectile
Dysfunction. Talk about medications if you?re curious about that route
(Such as Viagra)

Above all, don?t worry. While it isn?t ?age? per say that causes these
symptoms but a number of physical reasons, you have nothing to worry
about. I?m sure you?ll get the medical care you need to get back in
the saddle again!

Google Searches Used:

Losing sensitivity during sex in older men


Erectile dysfunction

Here are two of my prior questions that are about some of the same
symptoms you experience that may help you out.

My Husband Can?t Ejaculate During Sex

Sex Problem

If this answer requires further explanation, please request
clarification before rating it, and I'll be happy to look into this

Google Answers Researcher
msb123-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars and gave an additional tip of: $5.00
Thank you for the excellent information, resource links and
sensitivity in your answer.

Thanks also to those who commented.

Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
From: steph53-ga on 23 Aug 2005 13:16 PDT
Hi msb123...

I'm not a researcher, but having dealt with this problem with a mle
firend of mine, I highly recommend that you ask your doctor for a
referral to a Urologist.

Loss of desire and ability can be a sign of low testosterone levels.

Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
From: thedon1-ga on 23 Aug 2005 14:16 PDT
You should definately get your Testosterone levels checked.  I
wouldn't necessarily see a Urologist if you can still get an erection.
 Low Testosterone levels are a major reasons for lack of morning
erections and/or no erections during your sleep.  I suggest getting
your Testosterone levels checked before seeing a I have
gone thru the same thing you have (Im 29 so I didn't think it was
aging) and had low Testosterone levels and the urologist didn't do
much for me. Start w/testosterone levels and go from there.
Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
From: stressedmum-ga on 24 Aug 2005 01:20 PDT
I was more worried to hear that you felt you couldn't get your doc to
'hear' you. That's really not good enough, particularly in this day
and age. If your doctor doesn't seem to be meeting your needs and
makes you feel embarrassed and/or foolish when you're trying to get
some answers to a very worrying problem, I think it's time to ditch
the doc and get a nice, new one who will be more sensitive to your
needs! Ask people whose opinions you respect and see if there's anyone
who they'd highly recommend.

The other thing I suggest is to go and see a professional, qualified
alternative health care practitioner, such as a naturopath or a
homeopath, and you might find that some zinc or other trace elements
might make all the difference.
Best wishes.
Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
From: nenna-ga on 24 Aug 2005 09:16 PDT
Thank you for your wonderful rating and tip, I'm glad I could help you.

Subject: Re: sexual desire & ability
From: nishu_bhargava-ga on 06 Sep 2005 02:41 PDT
ED is significantly attributed to psychological causes. Psychological
factors include fear of our female partners, depression, lack of self
esteem, and cluelessness as to what to do with certain parts of the
female anatomy. A positive thought-process and emotions can help your
mental state of being, consequently aiding in a better performance
during coitus. Viagra only treats one symptom of the male menopause or
Andropause - ED - and research studies agree that it is not an
aphrodisiac, and will not work if the desire is not there.

A man without Andropause can have a constant, steady flow of blood
flowing to his penis arteries in a good amount. The more blood that
flows down there, the harder and longer your erection will be!

Viagra and its generic version works differently from testosterone
replacement therapy. Viagra acts on the penis by maintaining an
erection; testosterone works on the whole body and all aspects of
sexual response. Testosterone is the hormone of sexual desire in both
men and women. As a result, if testosterone levels are low, so is the
desire for sex. Impotence or ED is a complex problem that requires a
thorough psychological and physical exam.

Physicians may use a combination of approaches to treat ED; however,
Viagra and Generic Version may treat only one part of man - Erection.
Testosterone replacement therapy not only improves a man's erectile
quality, it can improve sexual desire and prevent debilitating
diseases like osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.

Viagra & its Generic Version plus Testosterone is the logical &
affirmative solution to the widespread cause of ED, the Andropause.


Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy