Google Answers Logo
View Question
Q: Rights to Live in Work in the EU for a US citizen.... ( Answered 5 out of 5 stars,   1 Comment )
Subject: Rights to Live in Work in the EU for a US citizen....
Category: Relationships and Society > Law
Asked by: biavaschi-ga
List Price: $4.00
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 02:26 PST
Expires: 14 Mar 2005 02:26 PST
Question ID: 473291
Can a US citizen, who holds a residency card in one EU nation, live
and/or work in any other EU nation. I know that right now (barring a
few exceptions for the new member states) if you are a citizen of an
EU nation, then you CAN live or work in any other EU nation...

What i want to know is whether these freedoms also apply to resident
aliens also. My guess is that these rights (access to residency & work
permits) would only be afforded to the permanent residents, and not
short term  visa (less than 5 years) holders, but I hope that I'm
wrong!  thanks.
Subject: Re: Rights to Live in Work in the EU for a US citizen....
Answered By: politicalguru-ga on 12 Feb 2005 05:03 PST
Rated:5 out of 5 stars
Dear Biavaschi, 

The regulations are not unanymous in all EU countries. There is no
connection, however, between gaining a working-permit and the length
of the visa. Usually, in fact, unless one gained their permanent visa
through marriage, he would first gain a a limited permit.

A US-citizen could gain a work-permit in many cases. In fact, in some
countries, like Germany, US-citizens would find it easier to change
their status (and receive a work-permit) as their brethern from, say,

The chances of a US citizen to get a work-permit are pretty high,
especially if this person:
- Has a profession that is highly requested (e.g., engineers); 
- Could teach English as an EFL teacher (well known as the easiest way
to get a work-permit; as a native-speaker, it should be easy);
- Has an option to receive an artist's visa

Places where you can find more information: 

First and foremost, your country's immigration/work-permit
regulations. If you have difficulty in locating them, just post
another question, and one of us would find it in no time.

These sites: 

Easy ExPat 

Career Journal - Expat (Wall Street Journal)


Escape Artist

Expat Mom

I hope this answered your question. Please contact me if you need any
further clarifications on this answer before you rate it. My search
terms: expat + work permit + eu

Request for Answer Clarification by biavaschi-ga on 13 Feb 2005 00:05 PST
Dear Politicalguru,

Thank you for the and informative answer.  However, I believe that I
should clarify a bit what I am asking.   I understand that the laws
regarding residency permits are not harmonized throughout all member
states, but has EU has determined a UNION-WIDE  threshold (whether in
place yet or not) establishing when a resident-alien (that's, someone
who's is NOT A CITIZEN of any EU members state but DOES HAVE LEGAL
RESIDENCY status) is afforded the same rights (specifically the right
to live and/or work in any other member state) as a Citizen.  Is this
a bit more clear?

To make this easier (i hope), I will use a specific example... Let's
say that i move to France and obtain work. My employer helps to get
work & residency visas.
After five years of renewing an annual residency permit, I apply for
and receive residency card that is valid for 10 years. Will this 10
year residency permit allow me to move to Sweden (for example) and
take up legal residence & employement?  Or is it that since I am an
alien (non-citizen) to each EU member state, I must apply for and
receive legal means for each individual member state that I wish to
reside and/or work?

This is one of the first times that I have posted here, and I am not
totally comfortable with the proper protocols, so... If I am asking
too much here requesting a clarification, let me know and I will be
more than happy to ask another new question. I really don't want to
take advantage of any google researchers, b/c I have really learned a
lot from all your excellent answers & comments!

Clarification of Answer by politicalguru-ga on 13 Feb 2005 03:54 PST
Dear Biavaschi, 

I'll answer briefly, since this is a rather complex issue, well beyond
the scope of this question. However, you are wrong to assume that
policies regarding the employment of non-citizens are unified, and
given the Eurocracy, it will take time: Denmark, for example, has a
very restrictive policy, totally different from the much more lax
Spanish, German or French ones.

Specifically regarding your question, you'll have to regain a
work-permit and (and permanent or limited residency) if you choose to
move between EU countries. However, as you noted yourself, policies
change, and might not be so in the future.
biavaschi-ga rated this answer:5 out of 5 stars

Subject: Re: Rights to Live in Work in the EU for a US citizen....
From: politicalguru-ga on 12 Feb 2005 11:04 PST
Dear Biavaschi, 

I have now seen your question regarding pricing. I would suppose that
any price around the $20 per country (perhaps even less) would be
suitable for qualified Researchers to give you an answer; however, I
recommend that you'll search first Google Answers archive. I remember
answering few immigration/work permit questions regarding the EU
myself, and I am pretty sure that others have, too.

Check out these, for example: 

Obtaining German Nationality through marriage 

UK immigration back doors?

Germany Employment (Tehuti-ga)

 Immigrating to Europe (fons-ga)

Working in The Netherlands (robertskelton-ga)

Important Disclaimer: Answers and comments provided on Google Answers are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Google does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. Please read carefully the Google Answers Terms of Service.

If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by emailing us at with the question ID listed above. Thank you.
Search Google Answers for
Google Answers  

Google Home - Answers FAQ - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy